We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Siberian irises  (Read 1210 times)

grenadier

Siberian irises
« on: February 20, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »
I have just purchased three Siberian Iris, I must confess to knowing absolutely nothing about growing or caring for them. Please can anyone advise me on their growing conditions/care etc., My soil is chalk. Thank you in anticipation.  :)
Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Re: Siberian irises
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 08:36:37 PM »
Under normal circumstances I'd say dig a hole, line it with some good muck, plant it and it will romp away and give it plenty of water in the growing season. But I'm not too sure about chalk, most Irises like a bit of lime.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:43:56 PM »
I wouldn't have said the Siberians were lime lovers but haven't really tried with lime. They do love lots of moisture but if that can be in sun, so much the better. Reasonable drainage too, not a bog. They love compost and humus generally but are not at all difficult and very rewarding once established.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

PeterT

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
if your ground is too dry for them you could try growing them in large pots or tubs sat in saucers for the Summer.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal