We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Meconopsis 2014  (Read 12747 times)

ichristie

• Former President
Re: Meconopsis 2014
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2014, 04:58:31 PM »
hello, I am going to post pictures of Meconopsis x sheldonii this cross was made recently by Les Drummond in Forfar and I know some people will not accept this as so many discussions have been heard about IS THIS the original collection  NO but any hybrid between M. grandis and M, baileyi can have this name and I recognise the time effort and dedication that Les has made to produce this plant, I have grown it for 3 years first time flowering a superb colour and is going to be soundly perennial.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »
What a wonderful depth of colour, well done Les Drummond.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2014, 05:05:10 PM »
I am also growing M. baileyi just beginning to flower alongside the recently collected 'TRUE' M. betonicifolia not quite flowering will post both pictures later once the plants are open, I wonder how long will it be before these two get up to mischief and cross pollinate not only with each other but with anything else. I look forward to the Joint Rock meeting in Edinburgh when several RHS members from the south will be in attendance, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 07:39:51 AM »
Another two pictures of Meconopsis Mop Head the flowers are almost 8inches across some more flowers come out each week for me stunning cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2014, 08:17:18 AM »
A new Meconopsis found in a local garden now the last thing we need is more names (almost as bad as snowdrops) but this is a stunner such a deep rich blue big flowers on strong stems beats by far some of the other already named forms, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

ArnoldT

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2014, 01:03:09 PM »
Ian:

A real blue.  Can you take an image with something to show scale.  I can't grow them here and only the Welsh poppy, Meconopsis cambrica does well.

Thanks,
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

latestart

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2014, 01:50:52 PM »
That is a beautiful meconopsis. I have had difficulty getting them to grow but since joining SRGC I have started to learn more about them. I have waited at least three years to see this meconopsis. I think it is from wysiwyg seeds bought at an Edinburgh SRGC Show (before I became a member). I was expecting pink but I'm delighted with it. Can anyone can tell me what it is exactly and how I propagate it. The evergreen leaves have been a delight but since I noticed it looked as if there was a flower bud coming it seemed to take forever to flower. I have been taking photos regularly.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2014, 07:29:00 PM »
I'd suggest M. paniculata.  If so then it's monocarpic so be sure to save (& sow ;)) seeds. 
It has a magnificent rosette, doesn't it?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2014, 08:04:04 AM »
Hello Arnold, the Meconopsis picture shows some canes to help hold up the flowers these are 6ft pushed into the ground so plants are around 4ft plus, cheers Ian the Christie kind
from Kirriemuir

ArnoldT

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2014, 01:32:11 PM »
Ian:

thanks bigger than I thought.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

hwscot

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2014, 11:39:31 PM »
Meconopsis Lingholm from Susan at Pitcairn, trying some details today.
Harry
Montrose
You can take the lad out of Leeds, but you can't ..

latestart

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »
Hi Ashley, sorry for not getting back to you more quicky but I am having computer problems. I have checked out Meconopsis paniculata and it does seem to be that one. It has a spectacular rosette. It is 44" across and the stem is 39" high. I was interested to read that the one in Ian Christies photos is staked. I think it might be wise to do the same with mine. Thank you for your help. 

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2014, 08:05:33 AM »
I now have the Meconopsis betonicifolia flowering much later than the M. baileyi the M. betonicifolia is over 5ft tall with flower buds all the way up the stem has rounded petals  a really nice Blue with M. baileyi more open flowers and a pale blue just over 4 ft high will post more pictures one the rest of the flowers are open , cheers Ian the Christie kind
from Kirriemuir

angie

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2014, 08:30:01 AM »
You just can't beat this plant  8). There are so many plants on this forum that I would love to grow but can't but this we can aren't we so lucky. Ian thanks for sharing you're lovely Meconopsis.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2014, 06:55:37 PM »
Hello again we have had a scorching hot day so more flowers have opened on the new Mec. betonicifolia please note the new flowers have only 4 petals the first flowers can often look double this is caused by so much energy within the flower spike the first flowers have extra petals super blue, cheers Ian the Christie kind
from Kirriemuir

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal