We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Am I doing it right?  (Read 1353 times)

fixpix

Am I doing it right?
« on: February 11, 2014, 12:00:29 PM »
As I am new to Alpines, I have a few questions as I don't want to blow my chances to some nice plants in my garden.

1. Is it a problem if the mix doesn't come all the way up to the margins of the pots?
I've read in a couple of sources "fill up the containers".
Thing is, I recycle the PET bottles I get from water, and I cut them. I usually cut them a bit higher just in case I need deeper pots later on.
Also, if I cover the pots with some plastic sheet (like a bag, or foil or something) being a bit higher, doesn't stick to the mix/seeds below.

2. I see condense. Water forms both in a fine mist but also bigger drops under the cover. Also on the container walls.
Is this BAD?
Should I remove the covering? Problem is, we still get occasional rains and the pots are out there.
Sometimes when I have time, I take each pot, remove the cover, give it a shake, and turn it inside out, with the dry side in the pot.
But, am I using moisture this way?

Thank you in advance!
Some of my creations :)
http://edenium.sunphoto.ro/

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: Am I doing it right?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »
Hi Fixpix,  I'm no expert but the only pots I cover with plastic are fern spores.  All other seed pots are uncovered but not necessarily outside, mostly in the greenhouse or frame.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 02:21:59 PM »
Hi Fixpix
Like Shelagh I leave seed pots uncovered but I too keep them in the greenhouse.  But more people leave their pots outside in all the cold weather and look to see if they are germinating in the spring.  I usually fill my pots to the top but they do settle quite a bit.  I sow small seed on the top but sprinkle grit over them.  In the case of bulb seed I make a hole in the middle and sow deeply.  See the bulb log for the best information about how to deal with bulb seed...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:09:58 PM »
My seed pots are filled with my compost mix (a nice gritty/sandy mix of a fine (ie not lumpy)consistency up to about 3cm from the top of the pot. This is tamped (pressed) down a little, not too firmly and the seeds sown on top of it. Each pot is then topped with about 1cm of small grit and they are then left in an open frame until germination. After germination, if any, they are taken under glass if I have room or to some covered outdoor shelving if I haven't.  I live in a very wet part of the UK and some do well in my conditions and, of course some don't, but that's the way it is. Hope this helps.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 05:46:26 AM »
As I am new to Alpines, I have a few questions as I don't want to blow my chances to some nice plants in my garden.
Other than the drainage aspect, "alpines" aren't any different to start from seed than other plants. 

1. Is it a problem if the mix doesn't come all the way up to the margins of the pots?
Thing is, I recycle the PET bottles I get from water, and I cut them. I usually cut them a bit higher just in case I need deeper pots later on.
Also, if I cover the pots with some plastic sheet (like a bag, or foil or something) being a bit higher, doesn't stick to the mix/seeds below.
It would be rather hard to water pots when they are filled to the top with soil.  By "fill the containers", I doubt they mean to fill to the brim.
I start seeds indoors and cover the trays of pots with transparent plastic covers to keep the seeds constantly moist for germination. Maybe in a soggy climate this is not necessary?

2. I see condense. Water forms both in a fine mist but also bigger drops under the cover. Also on the container walls.
Is this BAD?
Should I remove the covering? Problem is, we still get occasional rains and the pots are out there.
Sometimes when I have time, I take each pot, remove the cover, give it a shake, and turn it inside out, with the dry side in the pot.
Once again, the seeds need to be kept moist for germination.  I don't find condensation inside the plastic cover to be a problem at all.  Once there is germination, the pots would be removed from the covered tray... or the cover would be removed from the pots, whichever works for you.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

meanie

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:20:19 AM »

At the risk of stating the obvious, you have made adequate drainage holes in the bottom have you? Sorry if that seems a bit rude.

Is this BAD?

Thank you in advance!
I use ziplock plastic bags. It is easier to leave a small vent in the middle to allow excess moisture to escape.
Two points;
Is the soil thoroughly sterilised? And are the seeds germinating? If the seeds are germinating then I would remove the cover from the pot and place the pot under cover instead so that it can breathe.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

fixpix

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »
Thank you all for taking time to reply.
First, let me tackle the funny part. Meanie, nothing rude there. YES, there's holes poked with a heated nail.
I never use containers without drainage.
 ;D

I understand the need for moisture it's just sometimes there's too much. Some sites (well, people) even say "plunge pots in water until surface seems wet". Now that to me is a lot of water.

Very little germination yet. But I'm checking the pots everyday.

There might be a small problem with location. Part of the containers are on the balcony (enclosed with windows) and it's quite humid inside, especially the bathroom window opens to the balcony and it's also the place where I hang clothes to dry. The other part are lined up nicely on the windowsill (outside) and I think the covers offer some protection.

meanie

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 08:56:39 AM »

I understand the need for moisture it's just sometimes there's too much. Some sites (well, people) even say "plunge pots in water until surface seems wet". Now that to me is a lot of water.
Very much depends on the seed. For larger hard seeds it wants to be wetter at first to soften the seed coat. I prefer to pre-soak the seed though. Personally, for small/tiny seeds I would not want it wet though.

There might be a small problem with location. Part of the containers are on the balcony (enclosed with windows) and it's quite humid inside, especially the bathroom window opens to the balcony and it's also the place where I hang clothes to dry.
Do these seeds need a period of cool/cold temperatures?
West Oxon where it gets cold!

fixpix

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 09:01:17 AM »
Hello Meanie,
Yes. Most seeds I sowed this winter needed cold stratification. I still have some that don't need, so I'm waiting for warmer days.
Yesterday, seeing all the water drops inside the pots, I became "angry" and removed all coverings.
Let's see now  ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal