We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: erythroniums  (Read 1524 times)

grenadier

erythroniums
« on: February 09, 2014, 12:02:50 PM »
Can any of the members suggest where I might look to purchase erythronium bulbs. I am new to the SRGCF so I am still finding my way around. Erythroniums would be a new venture for me completely, having never grown them before. I have started reading Ian Youngs bulb blogs which I have to say are absolutely fantastic reading and the photography is first class. I was especially interested in blog 7/08 which was in the main all about Erythroniums, I really would like to try my hand at growing some any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.  Grenadier.   :)

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.

Gerry Webster

Re: erythroniums
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 12:06:08 PM »
In my experience Pitcairn Alpines (Susan Band) is a very good source.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

grenadier

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 12:33:47 PM »
 ;) Thanks Gerry I am on the case. Have been to Pitcairn Alpines site great selection of what I am looking for. Unfortunately they are closed until 01/04/2014, rest assured I will return when they 're-open again. Thank you.

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
Hi grenadier if you go on to the rhs website and then onto the plant finder section type erythroniums in the plant section you will get 100+ entries if I remember rightly. There will be a nursery close to you I would have thought.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Ed Alverson

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 11:17:10 PM »
Grenadier, I might suggest a good selection of Erythronium species to get you started, giving you a range of colors and flowering times, would be E. tuolumnense (yellow, early blooming), E. californicum "White Beauty" (white, later blooming), and E. revolutum (pink, later blooming). All are generally available, and are relatively well suited for general garden conditions, as long as they aren't too wet after they go dormant. As an added bonus, the first two increase from offsets, so every few years you can divide the clumps and increase the size of your patch at no added cost (there are also forms of E. revolutum that produce offsets, not sure however if any have been named).

Ed
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

grenadier

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 09:12:15 PM »
Thanks for that Ed. :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal