We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Discussion Weekend 2014  (Read 12576 times)

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
Re: SRGC Discussion Weekend 2014
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 09:35:05 PM »
yet more- African plants, Australasian plants, plants that did not fit any other classes with a colourful Oxalis I  think  from Kath Rimmer, a nice set of Sorbus fruits from Cathy Caudwell, and another holiday photo set from those inveterate travellers Margaret and Henry Taylor.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:03:31 AM by Stan da Prato »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 06:12:53 AM »
People among the plants.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 06:14:02 AM »
and more...

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 06:29:04 AM »
yet more

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 06:30:54 AM »
and others

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 12:05:27 PM »
three nurseries -Aberconwy, Ardfearn and Amand -as well as the club plant stall and of course Glassford with his extremely useful labels.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »
trophies ready for the presentation, all the  very good talks, members signing  a get well card for Jim Sutherland, opportunities  for watching the local wildlife or just catching up with friends.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2014, 12:17:46 PM »
finally two entries  into the caption competition.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2014, 06:30:40 PM »
As one of the DWE organisers I can say that I was extremely happy with the show and the whole weekend. So many of the attractions were so much better supported than in 2013 and that was entirely due to the delegates. In the show hall staging had to be halted on Friday morning, when we realised that entries were going to be much higher than anticipated, so that we could insert another row of tables (pic 2380). That is the hotel manager with his back to us and wearing a 'proper' shirt! Quality was generally good also even though we all were having a difficult time with our bulbs. Crocuses were not good and all entrants were constantly removing handfulls of fallen blooms from our cyclamen. On the other hand some plants, such as the gentians, really shone. See Stan's pics for for the plants, so much better than any I took - thanks for sharing them, Stan.
The photo competions were also much better supported. In 2013 the trade stand people were not overly impressed with their sales but had no reason to feel disappointed this year.
One of the most surprising differences was in the Friday evening 'bulb exchange'. One of the poorest that I have seen in 2013 but this year we were inundated with donations (pic 2402). And, not only that. We normally remove unsold bulbs at the end of the exchange and take them down to the club sales table, this year, for the first time that I can remember, the last packet was lifted from the table in less than half-an-hour after the start of the event! Remarkable.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2014, 06:59:41 PM »
Al Elliott tweets : Almost a full house at TheBotanics for the joint Scottish Rock GC and Royal Caledonian Horticulture Society talk by Nicola Ripley, Director of the Betty Ford Alpine Garden at Vail , Colorado - we very much enjoyed this talk at the DWE ....

« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:01:43 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2014, 07:06:52 PM »
Another pic from Edinburgh - Nicola's talk.....

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2014, 07:28:21 PM »
The only word I can find do describe the DWE is - fantastic! For anyone who hasn't been before, I can only say GO!! Easily accessible and beautiful location. Excellent facilities and great service at the hotel, including top notch food. Eight outstanding lectures, plus so many fine plants in the show and plenty of opportunities for retail therapy. But more than anything, the warm welcome from all the members and interesting discussions we had really made it a great weekend. Saving the pennies for next year...

And, to top off a great weekend I arrived home to find a package full of Crocus seeds, which made up for the ferry cancellation  :)
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Carol Shaw

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2014, 09:23:56 PM »
The only word I can find do describe the DWE is - fantastic! For anyone who hasn't been before, I can only say GO!! Easily accessible and beautiful location. Excellent facilities and great service at the hotel, including top notch food. Eight outstanding lectures, plus so many fine plants in the show and plenty of opportunities for retail therapy. But more than anything, the warm welcome from all the members and interesting discussions we had really made it a great weekend. Saving the pennies for next year...
Hi Matt, delighted you enjoyed the weekend you were a big help one way and another… Looking forward to having you back next year :)
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 11:08:13 PM »
...  I arrived home to find a package full of Crocus seeds, which made up for the ferry cancellation  :)
If more transport authorities were to offer compensation in the form of seeds or plants, what a wonderful world it would be! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 09:08:11 AM »
Looks like the DW is the pinnacle of the SRGC year. From what I can see this event goes from strength to strength.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal