We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Discussion Weekend 2014  (Read 12574 times)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: SRGC Discussion Weekend 2014
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 07:20:50 AM »
Only the Saturday morning, Ivan. The rest of the time the trade stand people, stewards etc. will be enjoying the lectures and the show area will be unmanned.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Ivan McConachie

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 10:14:48 AM »
Thanks David.

I thought that might be the case, which is a pity as typically Saturday morning is the one time I am tied up else where.

Never mind I will look forward to seeing some photo's here on the forum perhaps.

Ivan

angie

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 08:50:17 AM »
Have a fun time everyone and hope to see lots of pictures of what I am missing out on.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 08:58:14 AM »
We're just getting ready to leave, Angela - we'll miss you !

M xx
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

angie

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 09:04:18 AM »
Have a safe trip Maggi hopefully will make it next year.
Angie T.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 09:08:05 AM »
Thanks Angela -we  hope the rain is only here at the coast.  The weather was so lovely last year - and this time we have three dogs to cope with! Must be mad! (Well, you already knew that!)

M xx
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

angie

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »
I bet you are away already, but next time you leave those three babies with me. I have Lola this weekend and we could have had so much fun.

Angie T.

Darren

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 12:24:20 PM »
Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Susan and I will be attending the weekends again in future I'm sure but work/college commitments have kept us away for a few years. Sadly we have other commitments next weekend too, so no Ponteland show for us either :'(

I am doing something related to Scottish plants this week though - analysing phytopigment concentrations in Salix leaves from Edinburgh!

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2014, 04:43:21 PM »
A very successful weekend enjoyed by all. First quick pictures.The  Forrest medal went to a fine Shortia from past and present presidents Carole and Ian Bainbridge. The Peel Trophy for three gentians  to Beryl and Ian McNaughton with three of Ian's hybrids. The Jim Lever cyclamen trophy was won by Roma Fiddes with C . rohlfsianum  as part of a good three pan entry. Mala Janes had a merit cert. for another fine cyclamen. The  Mowat conifer trophy was won by weekend  organisers Carol and David Shaw.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:39:16 PM by Stan da Prato »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »
The East Lothian trophy for class 3 three alpines went to your reporter which could be said to be  appropriate as I  live in  that fine county. Due to entering the most  plants  I also retained the  Mary Bowe trophy  for most points in the open section. My  Cassiope which unexpectedly  burst into full flower in the last few days  received  a merit cert. A snap I took on a local beach  was awarded the Reivers trophy  for  a Scottish  native plant. However the best photos in the show were from the  talented  McCaughey pairing with another very good set of holiday  pictures.
The other cups listed in the schedule were not awarded due to lack of entries in the relevant  class or section. Although the show was a good one  it was disappointing  that there were so few section 2 entries that  the two potential exhibitors just  put their plants into the open section.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 06:45:14 AM by Stan da Prato »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2014, 06:58:24 PM »
..............................Although the show was a good one  it was disappointing  that there were so few section 2 entries that  the two potential exhibitors just  put their plants into the open section.

Many thanks for your report Stan. Was this perhaps because of a difficult growing season or just a lack of "Showers" at this time of year?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2014, 08:53:09 PM »
Section 2 has fewer entries at most shows as many  people have moved into section 1 and there is not the movement  in to take their places. The exception is   Highland which has not long been on the national circuit. Aberdeen had  a good section 2 and it seems that much missed show may be about to n return

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 09:14:51 PM »
Now a walk round the hall. Class  I for 6 small pans then class 2 for three small. I think Jean Wyllie was second  in the six and first with the three -she put lots of bulbs into the show. Then views of the gentians and ericaceous plants finally Roma's three cyclamens.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:49:44 AM by Stan da Prato »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2014, 09:31:47 PM »
.............attached this time. First two colourful colchicum pots then hardy succulents including one of Nick Boss' distinctive sedums growing in its habitat, cushion plants won by Lionel Clarkson with an impressive pair, finally plants in fruit with Microcachrys tetragona, one of the world smallest conifers, with tiny cones
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:56:32 AM by Stan da Prato »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »
All sorts of foliage plants and shrubs.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:57:52 AM by Stan da Prato »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal