We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A different Valentine's Gift!  (Read 15658 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: A different Valentine's Gift!
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2014, 02:54:47 PM »
Elizabeth Harrison - T&M got a priceless bit of publicity relatively cheaply. (It's also a very nice snowdrop!)

That's what I said, and I don't think anyone would argue with it, especially that it's a great snowdrop that deserved to go for a high price on ebay.

Unfortunately for me, I discovered just yesterday (when investigating its very late appearance this year) that the one and only rare 'drop in my entire collection that was got by narcissus fly last year was.......drum roll.......yes, ELIZABETH HARRISON, which I only bloody well received last year!!!

How the hell do the evil little things KNOW!!!???  Just a rotting hollowed-out husk with no basal plate, and a fat grub! Not even enough left to rescue a scrap for chipping.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:14:17 PM by Martin Baxendale »
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2014, 03:00:13 PM »
Bad luck, Martin.  Talk about expensive tastes, eh?
Almost in Scotland.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2014, 03:07:52 PM »
Little b******s!!!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2014, 03:08:41 PM »
In case you do want to read the ICNCP Rules referred to, there is an online copy here http://www.actahort.org/chronica/pdf/sh_10.pdf

I've always been told that article 25.1 d says that publication is not effected by electronic media.  I had taken this on trust hitherto but now I have read it for myself. 

That's not quite the whole story - electronic publication is sufficient, providing that printed copies are lodge with certain libraries.  For some " more formalised electronic publications, such a s those with ISSN listing, those papers are automatically digitally "harvested " by the major libraries, so I think that is a different issue.

The "rules " are only an issue for naming if one wishes to comply with the ICNCP naming conventions. Should one wish to apply for Plant Breeders' Rights, for instance, then the "rule" there are at time quite other than the ICNCP  ones, so,  really, one can take one's choice.

'Copyrighting' can often be  a very simple process - depends on the level of protection or formality one wishes to achieve.

When one considers the vast number of plants around given a cultivar name without any such formal process  such as those mentioned above, and which are perfectly successfully recognised  as they are passed around or in commerce - I venture to suggest that  "following the rules" may be something of a red herring. ;)

Nearly forgot another method :  plants brought before the RHS committees, such as the Joint Rock Cttee, will, if considered good enough for an award ( for instance Galanthus 'Diggory' was given an Award of Merit in 2009 ) be given that award  "subject to the application of a cultivar name'. Such a plant will be fully described and the name approved, according to the conventions.  That's a pretty formal description for those plants, anyway.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:12:00 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2014, 03:17:20 PM »
Quote from: Maggi Young on Today at 01:45:54 PM

The green markings are far from stable in such 'drops as Green Light, aren't they?

From Alan_b  :
I'm quite insulted, Maggi  ;) .  'Green Light' rarely fails to produce green mark on the outer petals.  Although the size of the mark can be variable it is very rarely absent.  All but one of the flowers in my photo have a green mark on the outers, although in some  cases it is tiny and right at the tip so not readily visible in the picture.  The exception is the flower that has struggled to produce the requisite number of petals; presumably an immature bulb.

What you say about the instability of green marks is true of some other inferior brands.

;D ;D ;D Quite so , Alan!

.... it is tiny and right at the tip so not readily visible in the picture

If we take this as read here, then might the same not be true of the photos of 'Peter Gooding'? I think we are all agreed that photos, without great care to show all parts etc, are not a sure fire way of making a determination  ::)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 04:38:24 PM by Maggi Young »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »
That's what I like so much about this Forum too (and the SRGC website in general) because you can go back and renew threads and get a more historical perspective on gardening, which is also what a scientific education teaches - it makes for very solid foundations. And the archive of information from Ian's Bulb log and from Jim Archibald is really unequalled. It is the internet at its very best. (Perhaps occasionally a little seriousness creeps in? - but I did love Maggi's example of putting snow chains on a car and Cliff's reply!).

Most professional (academic) scientists who teach (especially the younger ones) have no interest whatsoever in the history of their subjects. Maybe horticulture is different.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2014, 03:25:58 PM »
Little b******s!!!
Unbelievably bad luck, Martin. I have to say it reinforces my opinion that those pesky critters  have an unerring good taste and would much rather have a fine Aberdeen Angus  steak than a slice of Spam.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2014, 03:30:48 PM »
I think Tom himself has said that with his snowdrop the green outer marks are variable and absent in some years.

Sean Fox

« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »
Most professional (academic) scientists who teach (especially the younger ones) have no interest whatsoever in the history of their subjects. Maybe horticulture is different.

Aren't you generalising there a little Gerry, and maybe been a little unfair? Isn't what they teach history? They must surely have had an interest in their given scientific subject and the history that goes with it.
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

Mavers

« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2014, 03:37:06 PM »
'Sod's Law' in action Martin.

It's always the most treasured that's eaten.

The herons always ALWAYS managed to select my best fish for their breakfast >:(

Mike
Somerset, UK

Sean Fox

« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2014, 03:46:49 PM »
'Sod's Law' in action Martin.

It's always the most treasured that's eaten.

The herons always ALWAYS managed to select my best fish for their breakfast >:(

I stopped keeping fish for that very reason. My fish were going missing and I didn't know where to. Thought it was either cats or someone was taking them. Then one night I got up in the very early hours of the morning to use the toilet when it was still pitch black and noticed the back security light was on. When I looked out there was a heron in the pond helping itself to my prize fish! Gutted. It was a good Friday mind. And if people tell you that herons needs a good run to take off don't believe them, they can take off like a harrier jet!
Sean Fox
Redcar, North East England

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2014, 04:10:20 PM »
That's not quite the whole story - electronic publication is sufficient, providing that printed copies are lodge with certain libraries.  For some " more formalised electronic publications, such a s those with ISSN listing, those papers are automatically digitally "harvested " by the major libraries, so I think that is a different issue.

But this informal forum would not count, I presume.
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2014, 04:19:08 PM »
Only in so far as to show when the name was first publicly used, I think.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2014, 04:20:47 PM »
Oh dear, is the controversy over 'Peter Gooding' going to spread to every snowdrop topic?   
Almost in Scotland.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2014, 04:30:52 PM »
Hopefully not  :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal