We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South American (Brazillian) seeds and support for botanical collection  (Read 1336 times)

PeterT

I am not sure where to put this, and hope that it is not to commercial.
Funding to help support botanical collections and to make plant material available is very important if our plant heritage, and knowledge of it, is to survive and be available to us.

I have had good experience of buying seeds from Brazil Plants, - Mauro Pixanto Peixoto and he is offering membership of a support club to help finance his conservation work and plant collection in Brazil. The members are to receive preferential seed allocations in return for their subscriptions.

http://www.brazilplants.com/club.html

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:53:29 PM by Maggi Young »
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

meanie

Re: South American (Brazillian) seeds and support for botanical collection
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 03:14:57 PM »
Many thanks for making me aware of this gentleman!
I'm sick of buying Lobelias excelsa and polyphylla which never germinate from the more usual sources. To be fair I did get a few L.excelsa to germinate once but killed the small seedlings through clumsy misting of other plants. From what I gather he's a seed collector as opposed to a seed trader?
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 03:24:31 PM »
Starting here : http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbslist/2014-September/mfrpspstq66fk7j90dmi8m9s52.html  you can read comments about this chap in the PBS discussion pages.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

graham

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 03:37:39 PM »
Interesting - I have bought seeds from Mauro for a few years with very good results although I didn't buy anything this year because I knew I would be busy and cut down on my seed raising a bit. I see that it's not directly visible from brazilplants.com, there don't appear to be links to the club.html page and I also see it says that it was written in 2007 but there is no 'current' date, so is it current ? I must admit I was going to drop him an email to see how he's doing so I might ask.

Certainly it's not a bad idea for him although as with all of these 'clubs' there is always the risk that the members get seeds etc. that they may not really want. But I don't envy anyone trying to make money out of any international trade at the moment - much too susceptible to currency fluctuations and general recessions and I can see that anything that gives a regular and extended cash flow would be very welcome.  I think that a lot of people in that line of business have suffered in recent years with the recessions in their traditional markets in the north of the planet.

The web site has his name as "Mauro Peixoto"

graham

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal