We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Any experience with Xerophyta viscosa?  (Read 2106 times)

GordonT

Any experience with Xerophyta viscosa?
« on: January 18, 2014, 03:14:31 PM »
Recently bought seed of Xerophyta viscosa- as I couldn't resist this South African oddity.

Now that I have seeds, I wonder if anyone on the forum has had experience growing this species? I have read various reports online, that it is hardy to zone 6(ish), and would welcome advice on how to successfully get these to go from seed to established plants. Some sites note that germination isn't the problem. It is in the after-care of the seedlings, where things start to go wrong. Any advice is welcome.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

GordonT

Re: Any experience with Xerophyta viscosa?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 04:40:38 PM »
I guess this plant is a mystery to both SRGC, and NARGS forumists, as there have been no suggestions. Once the weather gets a bit sunnier, and more predictable, I will try germinating them in a sandy mix, and move them to the unheated greenhouse when temperatures allow.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

SJW

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:05:30 PM »
I guess this plant is a mystery to both SRGC, and NARGS forumists, as there have been no suggestions. Once the weather gets a bit sunnier, and more predictable, I will try germinating them in a sandy mix, and move them to the unheated greenhouse when temperatures allow.

Gordon - didn't know anything about this 'resurrection' plant but from what I've just read, it looks like an interesting (challenging?) one to grow. Presumably you've seen this info on the PlantZAfrica site?

Germination takes two to four weeks, and seedlings should be left to become rootbound, and then divided just before the second growing season. Plant into shallow soil or containers where the plants can be left for many years without repotting, as growth is very slow.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Excelsior

• Look down! Thats where the magic happens!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 01:12:32 PM »
I tried to germinate them in a zip-lock bag with no luck. If I remember correct I've read some place that the seeds need smoke and/or heat to germinate.

Best of luck  :)
Growing on the edge, 560 m.a.s.l.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 07:46:25 PM »
Seedling germinating. No smoke!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal