We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: An Epipactis conundrum  (Read 707 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
An Epipactis conundrum
« on: July 22, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »
Our E. palustris flowered well this year although it finished before the Tewkesbury Show.  I left the flower stalks on and they began to fatten nicely and I thought great, seed.  Today I gave one seedhead a gentle squeeze to see how it was going and a dozen ants rushed out in all directions.  Is this normal,  I know the ants distribute the seed from the Cyclamen but what are they doing 3ft off the ground in my Epipactis?
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: An Epipactis conundrum
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Getting the fright of their lives as far as I can tell, Shelagh ....... ::) :-X ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: An Epipactis conundrum
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 10:00:29 PM »
No Maggi, that was me :o I'm not very good with little things that move quickly, unless it's grandchildren.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal