We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2014  (Read 57143 times)

jomowi

Re: Primula 2014
« Reply #315 on: June 16, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »
I notice that when I posted the above pic it said 145KB, but when I asked for 'Info' on file size before posting it was telling me 208KB - so it has actually posted smaller than it need have been. 
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
« Reply #316 on: June 16, 2014, 06:00:19 PM »
Maureen

Most computers allocate disc space in always the same sized blocks.  That's why you can make a text note of 1 or 2 words and file size will still be 4K or so.  Depending on operating system you use ( I'm using Mac OSX 10.9.3 right now) file size can be very deceptive.

Geo
George Forsythe, Pennsylvania, USA
"Learn something new everyday."

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #317 on: June 17, 2014, 02:53:22 AM »
Maureen  - You do of course realize the volume of the vocal wows increase with picture size!  That was a Wagnerian wow by the way.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #318 on: June 18, 2014, 10:34:19 AM »
I think there are few, if any better or more lovely companions for blue Meconopsis than the paler yellow primulas. The Denver planting is beautiful. I'd never have expected such a group in the Colorado climate, about which, admittedly, I know almost nothing at all.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #319 on: June 18, 2014, 10:37:12 AM »
Now I see that the mecs and prims are not in Denver at all (I should have read the post properly) but in a Scottish garden. That explains everything! :-[ :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

jomowi

« Reply #320 on: June 18, 2014, 07:37:29 PM »
Maureen  - You do of course realize the volume of the vocal wows increase with picture size!  That was a Wagnerian wow by the way.

johnw

In that case, John, it's just as well the pics came out small, otherwise I would have to widen my doors!  Geo, I too use a Mac OS X but an older version than yours: 10.5.8
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #321 on: July 01, 2014, 10:42:14 AM »
I was in Perthshire this weekend, and filled an enjoyable hour before catching my train home by visiting the Explorers' Garden in Pitlochry for the first time. Many of the spring plants were over, with just a couple of Meconopsis plants still in bloom. However, the Primula were just scent-sational, filling the air with their sweet scent - and yes, I did come away with a couple of plants  :)

1. last of the Meconopsis
2. abundant Primula (mainly alpicola?)
3 & 4. This Primula was just spectacular, can anyone ID it please? The flowers were a stunning peachy apricot colour, and the scent was also (to my mind) of peaches!
5. A fine specimen of Dactylorhiza (fuschii or hybrid) looked superb nestled under an Japanese Acer.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #322 on: July 01, 2014, 11:29:36 AM »
The Explorers' Garden is a super place, isn't it? 
The peachy-coloured primula is a P. florindae - this is a plant which will throw a lovely range of colours - they all smell GOOD but some are EVEN MORE deliciously scented than others.  8)
Some of ours  have not grown very tall yet this year and are flowering rather feebly at around 30cms. I hope that they might put a spurt of growth on and show their full glory later in the year.  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #323 on: July 03, 2014, 06:58:54 AM »
Thank you Maggi, a swift and helpful response as ever.

I wonder if this might be P. florindae 'Coppertones' then. Hopefully I'll be able to source a form that smells as delicious as this one day. Although, that will have to wait until we have a more sheltered garden than we have here.

Yes, I will definitely be making Explorers' a spot to visit frequently.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #324 on: July 03, 2014, 10:04:26 AM »
I wonder if this might be P. florindae 'Coppertones' then.
  Could be but I know little of named forms - we find that our plants throw a super range of colours.  The "plain" yellow are lovely but I admit a  real fondness for the reds, peaches and orangey tones - and when growing tall they have such a striking presence. Love 'em!

astragalus

« Reply #325 on: July 03, 2014, 11:42:10 AM »
Maggi, did you start out with more than one color of Primula florindae and let them seed themselves.  I've finally found a place they like where if walking in the spring you would sink
to mid-calf.  It's drier now but there's still very moist below.  I only have the yellow one and it's planted with Primula prolifera nearby.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #326 on: July 03, 2014, 11:48:41 AM »
Anne, since Matt's post I've been asking myself the same question. It's been such a long time I cannot remember clearly. I have a feeling there may have  a range of colours from seed right at the start.
We no longer have a boggy area so the poor things have to cope with whatever we throw at them - though as they seed freely into the paths they seem not to mind to much. In hot dry weather they do wilt dreadfully, which makes me feel very cruel and sends me rushing for  the watering can.

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #327 on: July 04, 2014, 08:43:15 PM »
I discovered this primula growing in my front garden, does anyone know what verity it could be? Thanks John

John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #328 on: July 04, 2014, 09:02:33 PM »
A polyanthus - sometimes called Primula polyantha. They are hybrids bred to get those large showy  flowers. I'm not sure of a name for individual colours. It's being very generous in giving you flowers in July!

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #329 on: July 04, 2014, 09:10:47 PM »
Hi maggi thanks for letting me know, yeah I was surprised to see it when I was weeding around the roses. I really like the flowers on this plant, white with a orange/yellow centre. I'll have to see if I can get seeds from it or wait while it bulks up and split it.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal