We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowers and foliage January 2008  (Read 32833 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: Flowers and foliage January 2008
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 01:57:58 PM »
Luc,

I'm afraid it is not really a colourful display but an odd bloom here and there except for the shrubby plants shown. There really is only a handful of daffodils in flower, not that many snowdrops - more promising to flower but not that many actually open yet. But when flowers are scarce they may be appreciated all the more.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 05:04:33 PM »
My Narcissus 'Jenny' is just beginning to show above ground as is Iris 'Katharine Hodgkin'. You must have dodged all the bad weather in Waterford Paddy, and I thought I lived in a balmy (barmy!) part of the world. Iris retic. 'Gordon' is well up but no trace of danfordiae yet and no sign of a flower on my Iris unguicularis.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2008, 01:10:42 PM »
David,

It was a case of one of those 'pet, days on Saturday last. Friday was terrible, as was Sunday. Today, again is a frightful day and I wouldn't even venture out to look at the plants.

Paddy

Rob

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 04:02:07 PM »
I've got this hellebore hybrid in a pot so I was able to take the photo indoors.

It has been raining all day, with some sleet mixed in this afternoon.
Midlands, United Kingdom

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 06:34:18 PM »
Pretty plant Rob, and a lovely photograph.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 07:49:27 PM »
Lovely, Rob.

Paddy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 07:50:26 PM by Maggi Young »

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2008, 03:54:33 PM »
Ipheions "Jessie" (darker than it looks - some sun came out just as I was taking the photo!) and "Alberto Castillo". Jessie has been flowering slowly but steadily since early December. Alberto Castillo has just started.

Chloë
in wet, when-in-rains-it-pours north Portugal
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2008, 08:20:09 PM »
Chloe,

A very well timed posting of your Ipheion 'Alberto Castillo' when Alberto has just started posting to the forum.

Odd to be growing him in our gardens, so to speak, when he is posting to the forum.

Paddy

Darren

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 01:03:06 PM »
Belated happy new year everybody.

I've been enjoying the Wisley log recently, though most put-out to discover a massonia species I'm not growing - yet! (M.hirsuta). I've been growing a number of these for some years the following are currently in flower:

Top is (allegedly) a form of M jasminiflora which was offered in the Mesemb study group seed exchange a few years ago . A Hamburg BG seed collection. Terry Smale told me that one of his seedlings had flowered with strikingly pink anther filaments and fortunately one of mine has done likewise. To my eye it bears little resemblance to the other forms of M jasminiflora I grow (which despite the name smell disgusting!). This is a little past it's best - the outer flowers had gone over and have been removed - Paul is absolutely right about botrytis on the dead flowers with this genus.

Next up is M depressa, which is just opening now and is the last species to flower with me (The first - M.pygmaea, flowers in september). Note the pools of nectar like those in Paul's Daubenya pictures. I don't grow any Daubenya. I've had seedlings of D aurea before but found them very difficult indeed.

Then a few other bits and bobs. an Iris reticulata flowering in it's 7cm seed pot. Was open pollinated seed from one of Alan McMurtry's reticulata hybrids. Looks like straight reticulata to me, possibly with some I histrioides influence.

As well as massonias this South african is in flower at the moment. Gladiolus maculatus. A lovely scent too. Many more in flower than there were last year so I'm hoping for a good seed crop.

Last up is the very lovely Scilla aristidis (or aristides depending on who you read). This has the charming characteristic of staying compact despite flowering in the depths of winter and under glass.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2008, 01:14:13 PM »
Only one pic of Ranunculus calandrinioides from Morroco.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2008, 01:30:36 PM »
Gerd,  when do you water your Ranunculus calandrinioides after its summer rest?  How quickly does it then come into growth then?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2008, 01:31:51 PM »
Lovely pictures Darren and Gerd
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2008, 02:17:19 PM »
Darren,
That small gladdy looks super !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2008, 02:28:58 PM »
Gerd,  when do you water your Ranunculus calandrinioides after its summer rest?  How quickly does it then come into growth then?

Maggi,
I water them later than other wintergrowing species around the middle of November. It comes into growth about two weeks later. I have two pots, one of them is faster than the other.
This species is very suscectible to mildew when grown inside. So I give them the shelter of a greenhouse only during very cold spells.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2008, 02:56:30 PM »
Thanks, Gerd.
I am interested that it is as late as November, this is valuable advice for anyone new to this lovely plant.
Growing at this time of year it is nicest to be able to enjoy it under glass, anyway...... especially with  the weather at the moment!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal