We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowers and foliage January 2008  (Read 32834 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Flowers and foliage January 2008
« on: January 01, 2008, 04:32:11 PM »
Half an hour in the warmth of my study and Crocus michelsonii 'God's Look' opened its flowers today.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
Re: Flowers and foliage January 2008
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 04:44:37 PM »
Nice crocus Anthony her is a little treat I gave myself over Christmas from Ashwood. Only a few on sale as yet but this one took mt fancy for shape and colour contrast
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 07:04:53 PM »
I wanna onea those-to both ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:29:12 PM »
Nice crocus and helleborus.
Best wishes
Armin

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
Anthony,

That is one corker of a Crocus.  What a colour combination!!  Beautiful!!  I've arranged to finally get C. mathewii this year here in Aus, so I'll finally get to see one of those lovely dark centred Crocus one of these years!!  I just love the pics I've seen of them.  I like the height and proportions of your one in particular..... very nice.   8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 10:13:39 AM »
Great way to start off the year !
C. Michelsonii hais been on my wants list for a while but your picture only put it higher on the list Anthony !  ;D

Too bad Ashwood is a bit out of the way from here...  ;D  I wouldn't have minded a Christmas treat like that one either....  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 12:36:06 PM »
Nothing very special but one or two nice things out in the garden as well as snowdrops.  I think I have the pruning regime for the Witch hazel right as it is smothered in flowers, so pretty at this time of the year I wish I had room for some more varieties.  My eye was also taken by good old Helleborus foetidus, I must get all the old foliage on the hybrids cut down, I see that eric smithii is heavy with bud.  Nearby a Silybum had seeded in the vegetable patch, the rosette is most attractive...but it will have to go when the patch is dug over!  Another joy of this time of the year is the seedheads on the clematis, this one is a tangutica and smothers one side of the gazebo.  The Daphne mezereum has been flowering since late October.  I planted it near the back door so that we could enjoy it even if we didn't feel like gardening.  The birds sit in it's protection and eat the food from the seedfeeders and also peck the branches (for insects?).  Lastly, also by the back door... but in a pot are two Correa, this one is "Dusky bells" I think, you can see why they are called New Zealand fuschia.  The yellow one has several buds but only one flower out, it's a very pretty soft yellow.  I am struck yet again at how much is still in flower, on my walk this morning I passed several gardens with roses in bloom.  I don't think they will enjoy the cold spell which is about to hit us.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
Whoops hit the wrong button!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 09:53:36 PM »
Do you guys really call Correa "New Zealand Fuchsia"?  I'm not sure there are actually any Correa that are native to NZ...... if there are then they are very few as the vast majority of Correa are native to Australia, predominantly South East Aus as far as I know?  Interesting that they're been attributed to NZ rather than Aus in their common name.  Shows why common names can be somewhat misleading!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 10:21:45 PM »
Sorry Paul et al  I had meant to say Australian but had been looking at one of the other threads and had that fresh in the mind ::)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 12:49:59 AM »
No problemo.  Just thought it was strange..... particularly as NZ already has Fuchsias (F. procumbens) to start with.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 03:24:28 AM »
And it would be something of a reversal as well, since the Aussies are known for "pinching" everything good that is ours, such as Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, the luscious Pavlova dessert, bands Splitenz and Crowded House, a certain famous race horse called Phar Lap, etc etc etc..... :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 06:23:24 AM »
Now now Lesley.  No need to get snitty.  As a peace offering I'm happy to offer you Russell Crowe back if you'd like??  ;D (now where is that innocent smiley with a halo when you need it?)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 06:44:44 AM »
Paul,

You're probably happy that L'il Orphan Kylie's been 'adopted' out as well.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 08:59:46 AM »
No, I just don't think much of Russell, that's all!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal