We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pulsatilla nn  (Read 2784 times)

Egon27

Re: Pulsatilla nn
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 02:19:21 PM »
Now so   looks seedlings my Pulsatilla NN.

Egon

Susann

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 04:06:58 PM »
Thank you Tim! But Swedish seems to be more complicated that English? So many words to translate just a few sentences? :)
I decided to take some pots with Pulsatilla seedlings indoor yesterday, just for fun. They were sown in January last year and kept outdoor. Some of them where -due to the very warm weather- already sprouting. Among them two P ajanensis. Please, pray they are correctly namned, they are wild collected in Far East. "Indoor" means I will raise the seedlings under professional nursery lamps. It is so exiting to go to the cellar in the morning and see what has happened the last 24 hours. The plants come out as healthy as grown outdoor, but I often gain one year in cultivation by waking them up in midwinter instead of May.
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 04:56:57 PM »
Susann - I've never heard of P. ajanensis! Another one of those few things (as my father-in-law says) that he doesn't know! Plants are wonderful at surprising us. I can believe the excitement of watching seedlings germinate and grow in your cellar - I spend all winter peering at my seed frame watching for signs of life. I sometimes use lamps for early seedlings in the greenhouse, but I know many American growers use them routinely for raising plants early in the year.

Egon - I share your curiousity of how your seedlings develop. It will be most interesting if they flower just as the parent. Genetics often turns out more complex than my 'Swenglish' but it takes a number of years to discover the results when seedlings flower for the first time.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 09:12:48 PM »
Here is an interesting article from 2007 (in German language) about the re-naturalization trials of P. patens in the last German growing place, nature reservate 'Garchinger Heide' close to Munich https://mediatum.ub.tum.de/doc/632094/632094.pdf

In the documnent there is also an image of a seedling included. This might be of interest for Egon27 for comparison...
Best wishes
Armin

Egon27

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 07:11:43 AM »
Thank you Armin,  the young leaves are actually similar. We have to patiently wait and see what will be next.

Egon

Susann

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 03:16:38 PM »
Dear Egon and Armin,

first of all Egon, I am sorry I missed your picture of the seedlings last time, I did not realize there already was a page two of the thread. Thanks to both of you, it is always very interesting to read about other persons knowledge of the genus. ( It seems as we have moved from one thread to another?)

However, for the moment, I tend to agree with Egon. If you look at his seedlings, the leaves are clearly divided into three, with "stalks" on each part of the leaves. ( I wish I could make a drawing to point out what I mean) . At the photo Armin has posted the leaves are only diveded into three palms, which is very common in P patens. I am not very good at computer, but hopefully this link will lead to a page at the "Pulsatilla 13" thread where you can see the same leaves as Armin is showing http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=9988.120

So lets wait and hope that Egon has something interesting going on!

Tim, P ajanensis is a real beauty, it is a little similar to P tatewakii, I suspect they belong to the same group.
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Egon27

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »
Thank Sussan, I'm pretty sure that this is not P.patens. She has a long list of about 10 cm stems. My NN has leaves almost lying on the ground and evergreen.

Egon

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 12:30:52 PM »
Egon,
I vote for P.vernalis x P.patens hybrid.  :) I mean mother plant.
Seedlings are very interesting too. They are surely not P. patens but I can not say they are close to P. vernalis. They are much more vigorous. They look like hybrid too.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 01:21:38 PM by Olga Bondareva »
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Egon27

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 03:41:19 PM »
Olga,
Thank  for your message. In the spring I took pictures of new leaves and flowers of the Pulsatilla nn. Maybe then it will be more visible.
Egon

vivienne Condon

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 10:53:27 AM »
Hello, I was wondering if some one could clear up a nagging doubt about a Pulsatilla vernalis that I grew from AGS seed in 2009 i'm not sure I have its correct name if someone could have a look at it I would appreciate an answer. It is is still very lovely what ever it's name is.
Thank You Viv

Egon27

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 11:58:49 AM »
I do not want the seeds of AGS. A lot of it is false and the other did not germinate. This pulsatilla is certainly not P. vernalis. - Probably P. vulgaris.

vivienne Condon

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 10:48:39 AM »
Thank you Egon I did not think it was correctly named, I will change the label to P.vulgaris

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal