We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Yellow and yellowish G. nivalis  (Read 5758 times)

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
Re: Yellow and yellowish G. nivalis
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 07:19:47 PM »
Lol I'm rubbish with people's names , I figure that part of my brain was taken over by plants and plant names !
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Matt Bishop

• Matt Bishop - Snowdrops
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, 10:52:56 PM »
Hi Emma,

I am not alone after all!

M

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 12:05:56 AM »
I have the same problem.  And faces too.  But I cannot identify hundreds of different snowdrops either so goodness knows what that bit of my brain get used for?
Almost in Scotland.

Matt Bishop

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 04:25:04 PM »
With you on the faces front also (and it depends on the Snowdrop too!)

M

emma T

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »
Prosopagnosia (Greek: "prosopon" = "face", "agnosia" = "not knowing"), also called face blindness, is a disorder of face perception where the ability to recognize faces is impaired, while other aspects of visual processing (e.g., object discrimination) and intellectual functioning (e.g., decision making) remain intact. The term originally referred to a condition following acute brain damage (acquired prosopagnosia), but a congenital or developmental form of the disorder also exists, which may affect up to 2.5% of the population.[1] The specific brain area usually associated with prosopagnosia is the fusiform gyrus,[2] which activates specifically in response to faces. Thanks to this specialization, most people recognize faces much more effectively than they do similarly complex inanimate objects. For those with prosopagnosia, the ability to recognize faces depends on the less-sensitive object recognition system.
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

emma T

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 10:39:03 PM »
Of no help with the snowdrop but thought it was interesting .

I watched a program about a lady chess grandmaster who used the facial recognition parts of her brain to memorise chess moves , she was rubbish with people's names and faces , so maybe it's possible to use that part of your brain for plant recognition instead ? Just a hypothesis I have no way of testing . 

steve owen

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 10:48:53 PM »
Matt
I have developed or selected a number of yellows but two have seemed sufficiently distinctive to be worth a wider circulation, Moonlight and Steve's Yellow.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 09:19:25 AM »
Any pictures, Steve?  Or a description; what makes them distinctive?  I appreciate that it's Matt who needs to know but I'm sure the rest of us are curious.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 09:21:22 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Matt Bishop

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 10:02:49 AM »
Matt
I have developed or selected a number of yellows but two have seemed sufficiently distinctive to be worth a wider circulation, Moonlight and Steve's Yellow.
Thanks Steve, Could you possibly email me your contact no. so I can ring you later on?

Matt Bishop

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 02:26:34 PM »
Dear All,

In thre course of writing an account for the yellows I need to discuss our understanding of 'Blonde Inge' and its segregate forms and I'm hoping that somebody out there might be able to put me in touch with Nicholas Topp.......?

Best wishes,

Matt

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 08:13:52 PM »
Prosopagnosia (Greek: "prosopon" = "face", "agnosia" = "not knowing"), also called face blindness, is a disorder of face perception where the ability to recognize faces is impaired, while other aspects of visual processing (e.g., object discrimination) and intellectual functioning (e.g., decision making) remain intact. The term originally referred to a condition following acute brain damage (acquired prosopagnosia), but a congenital or developmental form of the disorder also exists, which may affect up to 2.5% of the population.[1] The specific brain area usually associated with prosopagnosia is the fusiform gyrus,[2] which activates specifically in response to faces. Thanks to this specialization, most people recognize faces much more effectively than they do similarly complex inanimate objects. For those with prosopagnosia, the ability to recognize faces depends on the less-sensitive object recognition system.
Emma, your avatar is not helping my Prosopagnosia....also your name is not a Latin or Greek binomial, which would have helped. ;)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

emma T

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2013, 08:39:08 PM »
Sorry ,I'm an introvert , I like masks ! I am a Homo sapiens if that helps

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal