Bulbs > Galanthus

Observations and theory of Galanthus germination

<< < (2/17) > >>

Alan_b:
Full-sized snowdrop bulbs will put down roots from August onwards (in UK conditions) so you might expect seed germination at a similar time.  The seed would have been set the previous spring so if a cold period was required before germination it would delay germination by a year.  I cannot see any benefit in that.  Here on the forum, Martin Baxendale must be amongst the most experienced in growing snowdrops from seed.

Martin Baxendale:

--- Quote from: Alan_b on December 08, 2013, 10:35:14 AM ---Here on the forum, Martin Baxendale must be amongst the most experienced in growing snowdrops from seed.

--- End quote ---

I've never experimented with germinating seeds in moist bags etc so I can't really add much to this discussion. I always sow in pots of well-drained compost as soon as the seed is ripe and never let the pots dry out completely until leaves appear. I don't therefore know exactly when germination starts, only when leaves start to appear - from late autumn through to spring. 

I've always worked on the theory that the seeds need a long warm and moist (never bone dry) period during summer followed by a cool period in late autumn/early winter to germinate.

partisangardener:
There is no cold spell required for germination, as far my experiments go. I used only fresh seed which germinates the same year if treated proper. I will try it next time outside in pots and start looking during August.
I don't recommend putting them into a bag, this was only for documentation.
So Martins method is the best in my opinion.
My investigation in this matter was because of very regular mentioning of poor germination because of not enough cold in the winter. This canīt be in my opinion

partisangardener:
I found the best collecting time for the fruits is when they are going from bright green to somewhat yellowish before they open naturally. Slugs like to eat in my garden conditions the seeds out of the ripening fruit when it is still green. 
If this danger is too great at a place I harvest even when they start to sink to the ground. Then keep them in a  place without sun but much light outside with protection against slugs. I harvest still good looking seeds then.

They seem to ripen without connection to the plant if  enough moisture and light is provided for.
In one case I had even some snowdrop flowers from a market. I pollinated one exceptionally big flower with four leafs in the vase. It grew a seed pot inside my studio. Several others did so too.
The light seemed too poor for me and some stems started to rot. So I kept them outside on the ground most of the Pod exposed to the light.
The big pod grew one heavy good-looking seed. This was before my discovery, so I put it in the ground between other snowdrops. Lost track oft it and I don't know if it really germinated.
I don't recommend it to do it by purpose but if you cut a seed pot by accident from the mother plant long before it is ripe, don't discard it. You will probably get some viable seeds by treating it in the above mentioned way. And please tell us if it really worked. Galanthus is still good for some surprises. ;)

Martin Baxendale:
My general observation over the years has been that I tend to get good germination during a cold and frosty autumn/winter and poor germination during a warm autumn/winter with few frosts. Of course there could be other factors involved (maybe I let pots of seeds dry out more in one year than another) and I haven't done any proper experimentation so it is just a general observation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version