We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendrons 2014  (Read 33255 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Rhododendrons 2014
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 08:05:25 PM »
Rhododendron cinnabarinum didn't survive our winter here in 2012-13. After looking into it a bit more, I discovered an unusual feature of the plant- it produces toxic nectar- it is apparently fine for insects, but honey made from it contains grayanotoxin- not good for humans.

Gordon  - The rhodo expert David Leach once told me he was sittting on a bench under a cinnabarinum at one of the Scottish gardens taking notes.  Some nectar dropped on his head and into his mouth &/or eye and he got terribly ill, his sight was impaired for hours.  I think the culprit was cinnabarinum or augustinii, memory fails.

R. cinnabarinum is worth another try.  The named forms do not do well but if you grow seed of two cinns crossed together you may have better luck.  I have an orange one that has never missed a beat, my purple one here in Halifax for to 6-8ft but drought and inattention got it one summer.

In the near future our chapter may have 'What A Dane' for sale, it is a hardier cinn hybrid from the mighty sorcerer Jens Birck.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:29:34 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2014, 10:40:46 PM »
Rhododendron dendricola flowering in research block at RBGE
 Francis Kingdon-Ward collection from 1939   info via Alan Elliott and the RBGE
https://twitter.com/thebotanics

and from the alpine house :

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2014, 12:50:08 AM »
Maggi,

R. dendricola - gorgeous!

Thank you so much for sharing the photographs.

I have a few seed lines coming along of this species and can see that I have something good to look forward to.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 04:22:23 PM »
Winter has finally returned with some rain, cooler temperatures, and our normal frosty nights. The Rhododendron duaricum are getting frosted most nights so there is not much in the way of flowers this season.

The R. spinuliferum seedlings pictured below have had nice reddish foliage all winter. Stress and sunshine contribute to the color. I'll take beauty where ever I can find it.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 01:03:15 AM »
The seasons are changing and some of the rhododendrons are starting to break dormancy.

Rhododendron mucronulatum 'Cornell Pink' is easy-to-grow in our area.

The second photograph is a somewhat compact form of R. mucronulatum selected by Warren Berg. The flowers are a deeper color than the photograph indicates. Great scarlet red fall foliage in the autumn too!

The last two photographs are R. 'Purpur Latte' a hybrid of duaricum x the Warren Berg mucronulatum selection above. Good, deep colored flowers and long lasting fall foliage; first chocolate then scarlet-red. A compact grower. A very simple hybrid that gives us good results.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Thorkild Godsk

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 09:27:45 AM »
Rhododendron
Hello Robert.
It's beautiful pictures of Rhododendron, it is to get in the spring mood. When you have very hot, I'm a little curious to know if you have Lilium and Trillium? If you have any what? As these also have my interest.
Sorry my English, I hope it is ok for yuo that I use Google Translate.
Kindly
Thorkild-DK
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 01:13:54 PM by Thorkild Godsk »
Thorkild.dk

Robert

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 04:30:31 PM »
Thorkild,

Thank you for the compliment. I do the best I can with photographs - my equipment is very old, so I do the best I can.

Right now the only trillium I grow is T. rivale. Trilliums, in general, grow well here and I hope to grow more in the future.

I've been growing and breeding lilies for many years and will have many photographs to share when the season arrives. I guess I could share some now as there are many already on the computer. I enjoy our native lilies. There are a number that grow near our farm.

I also grow things like Lilium mackiniae and various Nomocharis. They do not like the heat - yours look so much better. ;)

Erythronium is another big one for us. Most do well and some are native locally.

Don't worry about your English. I was born in the USA and my English is terrible.  :-\
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Thorkild Godsk

« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 09:26:52 AM »
Rhododendron traillianum.
It has a little story. JC Birck was here once with plants to me, he should travel to China on Rhododendron expedition. From one of his trips to China, he sent a bag Rd traillianum seeds, it is approx. 25 years ago. Here's Rhododendron traillianum from Birck. 
Thorkild-DK
Thorkild.dk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2014, 11:12:40 AM »
Rhododendron traillianum.
It has a little story. JC Birck was here once with plants to me, he should travel to China on Rhododendron expedition. From one of his trips to China, he sent a bag Rd traillianum seeds, it is approx. 25 years ago. Here's Rhododendron traillianum from Birck. 
Thorkild-DK
  A fine plant  - a silver ghost!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 02:17:58 PM »
Oh my those are fine traillianum leaves Thorkild.

johnw

Robert

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 01:34:01 AM »
Rhododendron
Hello Robert.
When you have very hot, I'm a little curious to know if you have Lilium and Trillium? If you have any what? As these also have my interest.
Kindly
Thorkild-DK

Thorkild,

I'm very interested in the lilies you grow! Maybe a new post under "Bulbs General"? There are many other lily species in our garden other than our west coast species.

Locally we have Trillium angustipetalum and T. albidum. They are not common in our area but I do see them. I've never grown Trillium albidum, however T. angustipetalum has done well for us. Now it is no longer in the garden and hopefully I can find seed again.

A minimum of 500,000 acres of farmland will be out of production this season in California. Our farm is part of the 500,000. I may need to travel out of town to find work this season. If you do not here from me, know that I am very interested in your lilies and rhododendrons.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

François Lambert

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 12:44:30 PM »
quote author=Maggi Young link=topic=11107.msg292412#msg292412 date=1390915006
I believe that many rhodos - perhaps all - have this "toxic" nectar, Robert.

I have always been told that the nectar is not toxic only to bumblebees, and normally the 'real' bee does not visit Rhododendron flowers.  Which is in line with my observations since childhood (we had wonderful big Rhodo's in the garden of the first house where I lived and I have 2 nice ones in my garden now).  But apparently bees do make exceptions sometimes.

Similarly the nectar or pollen from Nerium Oleander is also said to be toxic to any animal except bumblebees.  In fact the whole plant is said to be extremely toxic.  There is a story of soldiers of Napoleon that had used branches of Nerium Oleander to make skewers and they died of this last meal.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:08:26 PM by Maggi Young »
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

johnw

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 02:28:16 PM »
Similarly the nectar or pollen from Nerium Oleander is also said to be toxic to any animal except bumblebees.  In fact the whole plant is said to be extremely toxic.  There is a story of soldiers of Napoleon that had used branches of Nerium Oleander to make skewers and they died of this last meal.

Francosi - The same thing happened to a group of teenagers in California cooking hotdogs at a beach party, maybe as long ago as the 70's.

Snowdrops are said to cause a nasty type of madness in collectors of same.

johnw

Robert

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2014, 01:20:07 AM »
The rhododendron blooming season has started in the Sacramento Valley of California. All the photographs are of Rhododendrons grown at our Sacramento Valley home. Very hot and dry during the summer. 38-40 C during the summer is common.

The R. mucronulatum is from the Rhododendron Species Foundation and the last of the mucronulatum types this season.

The R. pubescens is "tough as nails". The take our hot summers with once a week watering. Never burns! Always blooms nicely and looks good.

R. scabrifolium var. spiciferum is another tough Rhododendron. The original plant has survived at our farm for over 35 years - several droughts in its life time. It still looks great. Up the hill the blooming season starts about 3-4 weeks later - most of the time.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

johnw

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2014, 12:47:29 PM »
Robert - Lovely rhodos there. The semi-double mucronulatum is a good solid colour reminiscent of 'Mahogony Red' or at least what it's supposed to look like.

Good to see spiciferum.  We grow two Glendoick hybrids of it with kieskei  - Waxbill & Wheatear, they told us the would be very tender but they soldier on and are very early flowering.

johnw

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal