We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seedlist Bjørnar Olsen  (Read 18593 times)

arisaema

Re: Seedlist Bjørnar Olsen
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2015, 03:17:26 AM »
Thank you, Mark, that is an unfortunate result... I know the Lilium lophophorum were viable so I'll put that down to bad luck with weather, but it seems I can scratch Geranium off the list.

Geranium in general ripen too unevenly - and G. delavayi usually only have one or two stems on a plant - so I've picked the whole stems and let them dry before cleaning. The seeds have looked viable, but I fear some may have been immature - and with no other practical way to collect it they are probably better left where they are.

Growild

• Growild Nursery
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2015, 08:31:12 AM »
Please don't give up on them yet Mark, they may need another winter.

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2015, 03:25:06 PM »
I did not have any success with 2014 Lilium yapingense seed, but I am very happy with your seeds, Bjørnar.  We are lucky to have you as a seed source, as well as an active member of this forum!
Most other results are successful:
2014 seed
Lilium cf. henrici BO-14-091 Yunnan - none
Lilium georgei (saccatum) BO-14-094 Yunnan - excellent. They waited for a heavy rainstorm.
Lilium henrici BO-14-095 Yunnan - none
Lilium henrici BO-14-096  - good
Lilium lankongense BO-14-097 Yunnan - good
Lilium yapingense BO-14-103 Yunnan - none
Nomocharis farreri BO-14-116 - excellent
Nomocharis forrestii BO-14-117     (aperta) - excellent
Nomocharis forrestii BO-14-118 Yunnan  (aperta) - excellent

2013 seed (planted and emerged in 2014)
Lilium henrici  col. Yunnan BO-13-053 - good
Lilium lophophorum col.Sichuan BO-13-055 - good
Lilium souliei? col.Yunnan BO-13-057 - good
Nomocharis farreri col.Yunnan BO-13-072 - excellent
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

arisaema

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2015, 03:43:03 PM »
Thanks, Rick! L. yapingense is one of those species that just don't make sense, I received an email from another forumist this morning:

Data for Lilium yapingense.

You gave me some seeds(Thank you) in my November order 2013, sowed 18 seeds 26/12/13 no data on germination left outdoors, but 12 shoots 24/5/15

I ordered BO-13-058 Jan 2014, test sowed 8 seeds on agar at room temp 12/3/14, all 8 germinated before 22/4/14 (No GA3 used), rest sowed in pot and left outside - no data

I ordered BO-14-103 November 2014 sow about 270 seeds 23/3/15 indoors room temp.1st seed germinated 18/5/15, 48 germinated by 9/6/15, tray then put outside.

How did you sow yours, inside or outside?

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2015, 08:24:55 PM »
I have no experience with Chinese Lilium but I'm interested and reading everything seeds & germination so regarding L. yapingense - the note saying " test sowed 8 seeds on agar at room temp 12/3/14, all 8 germinated before 22/4/14 (No GA3 used) rest sowed in pot and left outside - no data"  made me think: what if it requires some mycorrhizal association for germination? (probably a crazy idea but...)
The idea came from the fact that few of the sowing mixes contain mycorrhiza (which would explain various results obtain by people) plus that I used to do in vitro culture including sowing (in a former life  ;)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2015, 11:47:04 PM »
I had about 9 seeds of L. yapingense that I sowed inside at 60-65°F (16-18°C), seed lightly raked into the surface as Ian Young does for Frits and Lilies, covered with 5mm or so of granite grit.  I also planted 14 seeds (same method) outside in early May. 

Ll. lankongense, georgei and Nomocharis spp. germinated in both scenarios.  L. henrici only outside.  Last season I only sowed in pots outside.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2015, 08:12:58 AM »
As a general rule I find that Lilium seed from the region Bjornar is collecting (hengduan mountains) needs at least 10C to germinate. I sow in Jan/Feb frost free tunnel and the usually germinate by March. The exception was BO-13 henricii which didn't germinate until this Feb. No problems with yapingense germination but I lost most over winter. This year's henricii have mostly germinated but still some good seed left.
Gabriela, I sow the Americans at the beginning of December, they seem to need 0-10C Any hotter or later they wont germinate immediately. The seed of L Philadelphicum I got from you last year are lovely little plants.
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2015, 08:33:42 AM »
One of the Lilium yapingense has grown an extra large leaf. Do you think it means it is going to flower😀 Hope so. I am keeping the survivors frost free this winter as insurance.

Susan's website:

arisaema

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2015, 10:58:14 AM »
Susan; Did georgei and henrici take the freeze that killed off yapingense? I'm not sure how cold the winters down there actually get, although I do know summers are soaking wet and can be uncomfortably cold...

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2015, 11:47:32 AM »
I got no germination on the lilies/nomocharis purchased 2014 but they all came up this spring 2015. This years seed has not germinated and I expect it to do so in spring 2016.

My friend who has different interests sowed the 2015 purchased  androsace and saxifrage seed this year and has great germination and lovely plants. His nomocharis have also not germinated yet.

Clearly it is not the seed but both of us who have not sorted out the correct method yet.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2015, 11:53:05 AM »
I think it was probably because the bulbs were small although growing well. The were in a polytunnel but not covered with insulation. The Georgei were just as small but survived. The henricii was still ungerminated,in it's seed trays  and frost free. The few that had germinated were in a pot in the frost free tunnel.  The nomocharis farreri were in the tunnel and they are great and will flower next year I am sure. I will probably cover all this years seedlings with insulation this winter. I am sure once They are planted they will be okay. The trouble with the polystyrene boxes is that there is no heat from the ground.

Susan's website:

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2015, 08:58:07 PM »
Bjørnar Olsen's latest list will be on his website later in the month  keep your eyes peeled!

He says : "The seed list itself is finally done, with 325 seed collections spanning 8 provinces, 221 of them collected this autumn. I'm working on getting it all online, it should hopefully be by the end of this month. There's a lot of new stuff, a fair bit of rare stuff in tiny quantities - including two yet unintroduced lilies and some nice species bought from Xinjiang - and of course the regulars like Meconopsis, Omphalogramma and Souliea." 
http://trillium.no/

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:01:31 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

P. Kohn

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2015, 03:31:36 PM »
I also had nine germinations from nine seeds with G pylzowianum from Trillium.no. Generally had much more success with the Trillium seeds than with other wild collected Himalayan seeds.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2015, 04:13:16 PM »
Are you sure nothing ate the seed, they are very tasty to mice and chaffinches.

Susan's website:

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2015, 08:40:45 PM »
Nothing ate my seeds. I'll not be buying from them again
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal