We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: N. x susannae  (Read 1807 times)

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
N. x susannae
« on: November 06, 2013, 02:51:04 PM »
Hello Forumists.

Hoping someone can clarify something for me. When creating N. x susannae at home I assume that N. cantabricus is the pollen parent and N. triandus the seed?

I don't have any triandus at flowering size yet, but might experiment with 'Hawera' in the meantime.

Many thanks.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: N. x susannae
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »
 Hello Matt!
It's worth trying a cross using Hawera,  though it won't be x susannae.
I do think that the name  x susannae was first  applied to  the cross of triandrus pallidullus  x cantabricus but  now the name is used for any hybrid made in either direction of pollen/seed parent.

However you make this little charmer which does occur in nature, it is a stunning plant and one well worth pursuing.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:23:22 PM »
Thanks for your reply Maggi,
Pretty sure that my triandus won't flower for another year or so, but will play around with some other crosses in the meantime in the hope of getting something interesting. I'll aim to have a go both ways, but there's no telling whether the parents will be flowering together as the weather out here is extremely unpredictable, so I might end up saving pollen.
Thanks, M
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 08:06:33 PM »
Yes, saving pollen is a good option for tricky crosses http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/050308/log.html
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Darren

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 07:49:38 AM »
My few triandrus flower at least a month later than any of my cantabricus so I had to store pollen when attempting this cross.

None of the resulting seedlings have quite reached flowering size yet but I think I only have another year to wait for the first. :)
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 09:34:39 PM »
This is a cross that I know very well in the nature. In the place where this hybrid was described, when N. cantabricus  have the ovary closed by their own species, Narcissus triandrus subsp. pallidulus starting to bloom and the first plants in bloom receive the pollen from the late N. cantabricus. The result is a plant that contains most of DNA of N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus, and they are usually  solitary plants, tall, like N. triandrus,  with 1 to 3 flowers per escape (at least) with a nice scent.  There is another nothovariety when N. cantabricus acts as mother, in southern Spain. They are big clumps with plants usually with one flower per escape or rarely two, I have seen 100 flowers in the same clump. This is possible because it has inherited the vegetative division capacity that N. cantabricus has..

I am still researching about it, but I think that if you cross both nothovarieties you will have in the next generations, fertile plants. This is happening in the nature with several narcissus.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 07:53:16 PM by Rafa »

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:37:44 PM »
Yes, saving pollen is a good option for tricky crosses http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/050308/log.html
A good reminder. I'm going to try this.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal