We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus in November 2013  (Read 8168 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Galanthus in November 2013
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 10:57:58 PM »
Definitely one to treat with some T.L.C, Carolyn.  I cannot think of any named cultivars which are green-tipped and autumn flowering.  So I suggest at the very least you don't place all your eggs in one basket by keeping all the stock in a single location - or does that go without saying?     
Almost in Scotland.

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 12:25:54 AM »
That's worth chipping and bulking up.

So nice to get such positive feedback.  Hate to admit it but I have never chipped anything.  I only have the two plants from a G. elwesii bulb planted in a pot in fall 2011 and then in the ground in spring 2012.  This is it's third year to bloom, and I moved it in fall 2013 so I could observe it.  The poor thing probably needs a rest.

I plant 400 dried G. elwesii in pots every year and the resulting plants vary  tremendously.  Quite a good percentage of fall bloomers.
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 12:28:37 AM »
Definitely one to treat with some T.L.C, Carolyn.  I cannot think of any named cultivars which are green-tipped and autumn flowering.  So I suggest at the very least you don't place all your eggs in one basket by keeping all the stock in a single location - or does that go without saying?     

Nothing goes without saying as far as I am concerned.  But with two plants what would you suggest in terms of preservation?

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 12:33:58 AM »
So nice to get such positive feedback.  Hate to admit it but I have never chipped anything.  I only have the two plants from a G. elwesii bulb planted in a pot in fall 2011 and then in the ground in spring 2012.  This is it's third year to bloom, and I moved it in fall 2013 so I could observe it.  The poor thing probably needs a rest.

I plant 400 dried G. elwesii in pots every year and the resulting plants vary  tremendously.  Quite a good percentage of fall bloomers.

Sorry, I moved it last fall (not 2013) with all the other fall bloomers so I could watch them move closely.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 12:44:50 AM »
...But with two plants what would you suggest in terms of preservation?

If I had two (or a few more) bulbs of a snowdrop I particularly wanted to preserve I would lift and divide them then keep them in two separate locations to reduce the risk.  My garden has snowdrop-eating insects so the risk here is moderately high but I think the principle is sound in all cases.  However I don't usually lift and divide in the autumn for fear that the resultant stress combined with possible subsequent severe winter weather might prove too much. 
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 09:44:07 AM »
This is it's third year to bloom, and I moved it in fall 2013 so I could observe it. 

Then you have done the right thing, presumably this means that you know exactly where it is (if not mark it) so that, when the leaves died down you could lift one of the bulbs and have a go at chipping - it's not rocket science ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »
... have a go at chipping - it's not rocket science ;)

But it is a bit of an art.  It's probably best to begin with an ordinary bulb or two and leave your most precious find until you are confident that you have mastered the technique.
Almost in Scotland.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2013, 06:08:14 PM »
My clump of r-o still going strong  ;D

Magnificent Herbert :o
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2013, 06:18:43 PM »
How long does it take for a dormant snowdrop to root properly?
Snowdrops which were planted dormant in early August are now showing their noses, and I suppose they have now grown good roots, but I have also planted some dormant bulbs (bought from Estonia), which came in the beginning of October. I planted them immediately, and I have previously bought snowdrop bulbs from the same place (arrived in October) and they have come up next spring ok. I have always covered the planting site with plenty of dry oak leaves to keep the soil from freezing very deep.
Anyway, I was wondering how long these late planted snowdrops might need unfrozen soil for rooting?
Leena from south of Finland

MR GRUMPY

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2013, 10:23:21 PM »
Carolyn,That's really special,green tips and a long ovary,in fall/autumn 8) 8) 8) :).I only know of elwesii'December Green Tip',which hasn't flowered for me as yet,But i think it will not be patch on your's.......... :) :) :)
 I should thankyou for your help with posting pictures,last year.I still use Picasa,it's really easy.  ;D
Steve Thompson
Snowdrops are not just for Christmas.......

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »
Leena, because winters here are relatively mild I can get away with keeping snowdrops in pots.  Sometimes I have re-potted in August and found that the bulbs have already grown some roots.  In other pots the bulbs appeared still completely dormant.  I think normal snowdrop behaviour is to put down roots and poke up shoots to somewhere close to soil level in the autumn and early winter then wait until the first signs of spring to produce their leaves and flower.  They have to do this in order to be amongst the earliest of the spring flowers.

I don't know how late you can leave it to plant dormant snowdrops.

Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2013, 09:48:08 AM »
Leena, I have had newly planted snowdrops that have not appeared one season.  Naturally I thought I had lost them, but nine times out of ten they will appear the following year, so, as long as you have marked the spot so they are not disturbed, I am sure you will be alright.  If they do not appear next year they will appear in 2015 having taken a year to settle in if they objected to being planted late.  If they were from a reputable supply and planted on arrival there should not be a problem...You could always check if nothing appears in the Spring by waiting until June/July and having a dig down to make sure you still have the bulbs.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2013, 10:35:09 AM »
That's worth chipping and bulking up.
definitely
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2013, 05:08:43 PM »
Sometimes I have re-potted in August and found that the bulbs have already grown some roots.  In other pots the bulbs appeared still completely dormant. 

Can different species root in different time schedule? Some species root earlier than others?

Leena, I have had newly planted snowdrops that have not appeared one season.  Naturally I thought I had lost them, but nine times out of ten they will appear the following year, so, as long as you have marked the spot so they are not disturbed, I am sure you will be alright.  If they do not appear next year they will appear in 2015 having taken a year to settle in if they objected to being planted late.  If they were from a reputable supply and planted on arrival there should not be a problem.

This is good to know  :), and I have marked where I have planted them (with small sticks which can get lost, I should have marked them better). The late planted snowdrops were Cordelia and Jacquenetta from Savisaar, and Falkland House from Nijssen (and some cheap unnamed dry bulbs from the supermarket, I'm not expecting much from them). Most of the bulbs I had gotten from the UK in the summer are now showing their noses. :) It is really exciting to see them the first time in the spring. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »
I'm still repotting dry-stored bulbs now  :-\ 
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal