We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Campanula incurva  (Read 5224 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Campanula incurva
« on: December 26, 2007, 12:05:16 PM »
Howdy All,

I received this as a small seedling a couple of years ago from a friend.  I had the impression it was quite small in stature, and it did stay that way for quite some time. 

37643-0

37645-1

Then this year is suddenly took off and came into flower...... most the the shoots were lateral, resulting in flowerbuds sitting on top of the stem on the ground.  Each flower is probably 3 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide, so they are rather large comparative to the size of the plant.  The flower stems would be 18 inches to 2 feet in length, with flowers along the outer half.  You can see the basic setup in one of the shots, plus a closeup of the flower and buds in the other.  The colour is a beautiful sky lavender..... by which I mean it is the lavender equivalent of sky blue.  It is rather delightful and I would love to know whether it is perennial or annual (so I know whether to collect seed or not).  I just love it, but the eventual size of the plant is quite amazing given that it stayed as this demure little rosette of leaves for so long.  Any idea of a name?

Edited 1/1/2008 to update subject to reflect identification
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 02:39:16 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Re: Unknown Campanula
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 08:38:29 PM »
Hi, not sure about this, but two years ago Sue G. gave me a seedling of C. incurva, which seemed to do nothing first year then the following flowered, but I can't remember its colour.  The flowers certainly looked up at you, and as they did, they caught all the rain and went all messy.  Ended up pulling it out as it grew and grew loads.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 09:34:48 PM »
Chris,

This plant seems to sprawl, but otherwise is well behaved.  I can't see any sign of stoloniferous behaviour as yet.  I think in a more open position than I have it (i.e less things to tangle up with) it would an absolutely stunning show of flowers.  They are just so larger for what seems to be such a small plant (but rather is such a low plant, not small).
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ChrisB

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 10:25:33 PM »
Mine was also a sprawler.  Grew from what looked to be a tap root.  Not sure it wasn't a biennial, but perhaps not the same plant anyway.  Just reminded me of mine somehow... was nice but....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 03:48:42 AM »
Chris,

Mine I have assumed has a taproot as well.  Sounds similar.  It just amazes me how big the flowers are, given that the stems are lying on the ground.  I think I'd love a whole bunch of them.  Hopefully there are others who an confirm your ID or add possibilities of their own..... particularly as to whether I need to be allowing this to seed as it will die after flowering (or not?).  Do Campanulas like this come into flower again if trimmed before seedset, or if tey are going to die after flowering is cutting the stems irrelevant as the end is already near?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 10:18:45 PM »
From the pictures and the story of the plant I'd agree that it is C incurva.  Mine made a similar spectacular display  .... before it passed on!

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 01:10:07 AM »
Hmmmm.... so it sounds like it is biennial then?  I do have a second seedling that is still in a pot, so it is still non-flowering.  I am wondering whether planting it out will result in flowers next year, or whether it's time is up without flowering?  I'll hope for some seed of my flowering plant now then, with hopes of continuing it in the future through its progeny.  ;D

Thanks all!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 10:15:23 AM »
I think it is monocarpic rather than biennial.  Both my seedlings flowered when released from small pots and given space to develop a bigger root run.  Lots of seed was set and the parent plant then died.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 10:45:57 AM »
Tony,

Yep, much better word for it!!  ;D  Thanks for the help.  I'll keep an eye out for seed.  Any particular instructions for Campanula seed?  I've never sown any before so no idea whether anything species is needed re timing or treatment?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

ChrisB

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 08:28:22 PM »
I think this particular campanula ought to be born with an umbrella.  The rain just gathered in each flower before it disolved into mush.  Wonder why its flowers look upwards?  Must be from a dry place or it would never survive.  It certainly didn't here.  Never got as far as seed pods due to our weather....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 08:45:03 PM »
Chris,

We had a heap of rain last week (Yeah!) and had no affect at all on our flowers, so either my plant is slightly different ot yours or else mine are for some reason a bit more substantial in the flower department.  Individual flowers are quite long lived I am finding, and certainly not dissolving into mush.  We also had 17mm in 30mins on boxing day, which is pretty heavy rain, and that hasn't affected them either.  Interesting the difference?  It isn't like mine is under heavy cover, it isn't out in the open but it certainly isn't protected from rain.  This is a fascinating discussion!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 09:01:10 PM »
Mine were grown with protection.  One flowered in a very large pot, the other 'escaped' into the bulb bed under glass where the very dry conditions in summer were not a problem (the bed sits on the natural soil so there was some moisture at the roots.)   I know of people round here who have flowered it outside but our summers are usually quite dry.

ChrisB

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 11:18:06 PM »
So are ours, Tony, but this year was quite an exception!  Wonder what the weather will do to us in 2008?
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Campanula incurva
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 02:00:31 AM »
Hi Paul,
just discovered this thread which is why I didn't say anything earlier.
I've grown this campanula for a few years and like you didn't expect it to get to its eventual size! It re-seeded only mildly in the Rock garden so never became a pest. I found that in really hot weather the flowers tended to come out white and in cooler times they were the lovely lavender shade you posted. As for whther they are monocarpic or biennial, I have to say that they have behaved differently some years and sometimes died after seeding but not always. I prefer to call them "Short-lived perennials".
And definately worth having!
Currently I only have one in a pot in the Shadehouse but must plant it out and hope to get more seed from it.
Campanula ephesia (I posted a pic last year) appears to be similar but maybe a bit shorter and may have a simlar life span!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal