We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crinum 2013  (Read 3333 times)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Re: Crinum 2013
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 05:24:06 PM »
I planted one bulb of Crinum x powellii some ten or twelve years ago, and it has bulked up into a huge clump several feet across, flowering reliably every year.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

François Lambert

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 05:29:03 PM »
Great display John.  I hope mine will prosper as well.
Bulboholic, but with moderation.

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 05:51:15 PM »
If x-powellii does well, you should try bulbispermum itself.  Even hardier is Crinum variabile.  We have also found some pretty hardy hybrids, especially [variabile x bulbispermum].

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 07:16:45 PM »
Those anthers are bizarre, lovely flower.

Jim: Are you able to grow this where you are?  I wonder if the mysterious big leaves I would have seen in old gardens around Richmond, Virginia back in the 70's & 80's were xpowelliis, late July or August?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 07:27:05 PM »
If x-powellii does well, you should try bulbispermum itself.  Even hardier is Crinum variabile.  We have also found some pretty hardy hybrids, especially [variabile x bulbispermum].

Jim
I'm trying a variety of Crinum inclding those, but they are mostly not yet flowering size. Patience!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 08:22:31 PM »
Those anthers are bizarre, lovely flower.

Jim: Are you able to grow this where you are?  I wonder if the mysterious big leaves I would have seen in old gardens around Richmond, Virginia back in the 70's & 80's were xpowelliis, late July or August?

johnw
John,
I grow bulbispermum, variabile, x-powellii, [bulbispermum x lugardiae], and [variabile x bulbispermumj] outdoors in the ground here in the open field.

Up against the south and east walls of one of the greenhouses, I have several x-herbertii types as well as 'Emma Jones'.  Crinum 'Ellen Bosanquet' and C. 'Super Ellen' do not do well here out in the open.  I tried [bulbispermum x macowanii] out in the field, but got only a 30% survival rate, so that cross is not so hardy.  The lugardiae parent of [bulbispermum x lugardiae] is not at all  hardy here out in the ground.

412803-0
Crinum cf. x-herbertii #592 close to the greenhouse wall

412805-1

Crinum variabile

412807-2

Crinum 'Emma Jones' also close to the greenhouse wall

Jim Waddick grows a much larger assortment of Crinum hybrids outdoors in the ground in his garden in Kansas City.  In fact, it was Waddick who got me started growing them outdoors here.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 09:05:10 PM »
That's amazing Jim, and I thought xpowelii was the hardiest and borderline in Z6.  While your lows are lower than here I think winter is more protracted here.

This Nerine bowdenii Quinton Wells hardy strain (formerly xwellsii) is looking promising (thanks to GerdK & his seed).  I am planting them further and further away from the house and they survive.

Jim Waddick certainly has inspired a lot of us to fill our gardens & greenhouses beyond capacity. Bamboos, Polygonatums, Sarumas, Asarums you name it it came from Jim.

johnw
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:14:18 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 08:50:02 PM »
Here's a reliable Crinum spends winters outside buried deep in the ground.

Crinum bulbispermum.

Arnold, how deep you plant your crinum bulbs?
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

bechybechy

• peony
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 02:20:31 AM »
We have lots of lycoris and very favourable price.if you are interested in lycoris.pls feel free to contact with me.
I have over 100varieties of peonies.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal