We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Zealand Snowdrops  (Read 12600 times)

snowdropman

New Zealand Snowdrops
« on: December 12, 2006, 08:38:23 PM »
I thought that it was about time that we re-dressed the balance in the southern snowdrop hemisphere & talked about New Zealand snowdrops!

The only New Zealand cultivar that I know of for certain is the green tipped, but variable, g. elwesii 'Hughes Emerald' which was bred by the late Stan Hughes of Blue Mountain Nurseries (hitherto this has been circulating under the invalid name of g. elwesii 'Emerald', but has recently been renamed).

I understand that there is another possible New Zealand cultivar, circulating under the invalid name of g. 'Jessica', but its origins are uncertain and it may be that it is an import that has been re-named.

I was wondering if any of our New Zealand members can help with information about g. 'Jessica', or any other New Zealand cultivars?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:12:07 PM by snowdropman »
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Valentin Wijnen

Re: New Zealand Snowdrops
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 08:58:55 PM »
Here on the continent in Belgium (Europe) we grow a cultivar known as Galanthus elwesii 'Jessica' which is a green-tipped one. It is a rather recently discovered plant (1997, first sold in 1999), found by Phil Cornish. Full description is in "Snowdrops , the bilble" page 191; I saw it once and can describe/remember it as a beautiful plant, very nice shaped, with good green lines on the outers.
Valentin Wijnen, 'Grakes Heredij',
www.grakesheredij.be
Hoeselt, NE part of Belgium

snowdropman

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 09:12:43 PM »
Valentin

I should have said that the snowdrop circulating in New Zealand as g. 'Jessica' has no connection with the snowdrop g.elwesii 'Jessica' which Phil Cornish named after his wife.

The NZ snowdrop, with the invalid name of g. 'Jessica' is a double, with 15 inner petals.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:12:31 PM by snowdropman »
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 02:46:01 AM »
I've just posted a note to the Galanthus 2006 thread, under the impression that I had clicked the current one, when in the Index. So read that if interested. It's not relevant to that particular thread after all and I apologise. Not only my mind is going, but my eyesight and sense of touch as well it seems!

Nice to see you around Chris. However, as an NZ snowdrop grower I can't add anything to your questions re NZ snowdrops. I used to know Stanley Hughes many years ago and know his sons now but I have never heard of any galanthus bred by him. (Stanley and my mother used to play together as children and she, if still alive would be 99 this year, and Stanley hasn't been of this world for many years). Nor do I know any local plant as `Jessica.' These 2 mentioned are certianly not in commerce here and virtually none is ever listed by a nursery. The few we have - and nothing modern or recent - are passed around between friends. If you know someone who could supply the above 2, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 05:40:53 AM »
Hi Lesley

Don't worry - it is definately not your mind and I don't think it is your eyesight - there was something odd going on between the Galanthus and New Zealand threads for me too.  This morning I went into Galanthus and there were only 4 posts (all titled New Zealand) - then I chose 'next' and suddenly a few pages of messages appeared and they were called Galanthus - strange....

Seems to have sorted itself out now (unless my mind is going too...)

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 10:21:15 AM »
Thanks for reassurance John, puts my mind (even if lost) at rest.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

snowdropman

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 10:29:56 AM »
If you know someone who could supply the above 2, I'd love to hear about them. Thanks.

Hi Lesley, many thanks for your response on this thread.

re g. elwesii 'Hughes Emerald' - I understand that Blue Mountain Nurseries have only built up sufficient stock to distribute, within the last few years. Earlier this year, Dennis Hughes wife Margaret told me that they now had about 100 bulbs growing in the field & that they were retailing at about NZ$10 per bulb.

re g. 'Jessica' - this one is much more of a mystery and Marion Saxton tells me that it has been shared among friends for some years under this name, but no one seems to have any idea where it originated. She wonders if it might in fact be one of the Greatorex Doubles that has been renamed by someone in NZ - if you do get one from Marion, I would be very interested to hear what you think.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 03:53:22 AM »
Thanks for this information. I'll trot down to Blue Mountain over the Christmas/New Year hols and see what I can find. May have to flutter my eyelashes at Denis. Margaret is a much sterner proposition!

Also will see if Marion has one to spare of the so-called `Jessica' but even if she has, there's no way I would be able to identify it accurately. Best bet would be take a photo and send it here or to Mark or someone.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 10:51:02 AM »
I'll post a photo of the UK's 'Jessica' later and another called if I remember right 'Jessie Jane'.

Working hard at the moment to redo the photo pages of my web site http://www.snowdropinfo.com to include lots of new ones probably not seen before
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 01:15:55 PM »
That's great news Mark.  I have used your site to pick which unknown 'drops to buy!  You might like to know that on my Mac when I used the Buying on the web page to access others there is a hiccup in that you get this

http://www.snowdropinfo.com/www.maynell-cottage-plants.co.uk

rather than just
http://www.maynell-cottage-plants.co.uk

which means that any technophobe has probably not used the links successfully  ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

snowdropman

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 01:31:29 PM »
I'll post a photo of the UK's 'Jessica' later and another called if I remember right 'Jessie Jane'.

Hi Mark

It will be good to have photo's of both g. elwesii 'Jessica' & g. elwesii 'Jesse Jane', both of which are relatively recent Phil Cornish introductions, but as neither have any connection with the g. 'Jessica' which has been circulating in NZ for many years, and for which I am seeking the origins, can I ask that these be posted to the 'Galanthus 2006' thread, to avoid any confusion?

I am growing g. elwesii 'Hughes Emerald' & g. 'Jessica' (now in 2nd year of transition to UK seasons) - they pushed up leaves last winter, so hopefully will get flowers this winter - if I do splash out on a camera, I will try to take some pics & post to the SRGC Forum

Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

snowdropman

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 01:36:17 PM »
 Hi Lesley - hope that you manage to get them both - if you do hear anything about the origins of g. 'Jessica', I would love to know.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 08:47:08 PM »
Here are Phils snowdrops. 'Jessica' first and then 'Jessie Jane'
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

snowdropman

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 10:18:47 PM »
Thanks for this information. I'll trot down to Blue Mountain over the Christmas/New Year hols and see what I can find. May have to flutter my eyelashes at Denis. Margaret is a much sterner proposition!

Hi Lesley - did you flutter your eyelashes at Denis?
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 10:14:53 PM »
No I didn't Chris. Actually forgot all about it. But now I'm reminded, I'll phone today. Thanks for the nudge.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal