We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ponteland Show 12th October 2013  (Read 8344 times)

Darren

Re: Ponteland Show 12th October 2013
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2013, 08:31:14 AM »
I have similar berries on a Sorbus that came to me as Sorbus fruticosa.
It grows to about 1.5m high, then it tends to get pruned to keep it small, so I don't know how high it would grow if unchecked.

I grow this too Peter. It came with this label from Anberconwy nursery but it isn't correct (which Keith Lever himself has confirmed). I did cheekily look it up in someone else's copy of the monograph to find the correct name but have since forgotten it. In our dry limy soil it has only reached about 1m high in 8 years and has yet to be pruned.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
Thanks Peter and Darren.  Unfortunately my opportunities to buy from Aberconwy are limited without mail order, but have you ever tried propagating it from seed?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 02:23:41 PM »
Darren,
I wouldn't normally prune mine, and it has reached 1.5m, but sometimes my back is turned and I look round to find my wife's been busy with a pair of secateurs....  :'(
It is at least now multistemmed - call it coppicing. ;)

Ashley,
I haven't tried it myself from seed, mine came a a local group sale as a seedling from, I think, Alan Furness. I did give some berries to Peter Semple in Glasgow and he had no problems raising plants. There's perhaps a handful of berries left on the plant at present, so I can send you come if you send me a PM and if the blackbirds haven't eaten them when I get home from work - should be ok, there's plenty left on the S. aucuparia they go for first.  ;)
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »
Much obliged Peter.  PM sent.

Darren

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2013, 03:09:56 PM »
Thanks Peter and Darren.  Unfortunately my opportunities to buy from Aberconwy are limited without mail order, but have you ever tried propagating it from seed?

Yes Ashley - it germinates fine after a winter outside. I've plenty left if Peter's blackbirds have been busy.

Peter - yes, Susan is a bit keen on the pruning too but so far this Sorbus has either escaped notice or she has been very subtle about it ;)
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »
Thanks Darren.  If Peter doesn't fancy hunting for blackbird droppings of the right provenance then I might take you up on that kind offer ;) ;D

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 10:27:51 PM »
I'll post a few more photos of the plants this evening - not everything, as they have been well covered by George, Stan and Ian, but just one or two details.

Firstly the Primula sherriffae shown by Tim Lever that George forgot to take a photo of - you can see why this was much admired.
Secondly Coprosma petrei whixh won a certifiacte of merit for Trevor and Angie Jones. Almost impossible to photograph as a complete plant (here's my best effort), but the berries were fabulous in close-up.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 10:29:31 PM »
Not only difficult to photograph, Peter - it must have been very tricky to transport as well - quite a feat to get it to Ponteland in such beautiful condition.

Wonder how many are coveting the primula......... :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

veteran vet

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2013, 07:50:34 PM »
Thanks Peter, I knew you would come up trumps on the Primula, I was ashamed of myself not to have photographed it as I spent ages looking at it, talked to Tim about it etc, how I missed it goodness knows, only excuse was that time was short as I seemed to be doing stuff all day and there was always a good crowd round it admiring it...pathetic excuse I know.
Another point that you 'raised' by accident probably, is that the lighting at the stage end of the hall can make foliage plants of a certain ilk not stand out, Trevor and Angie's plant being an example, the small silver classes another, is that in the show hall exhibitors are at the mercy of the lights in the hall but that's exhibiting.
Of more concern is the way the Powers that Be in the AGS are of the opinion that Group Shows cost too much to stage and so should be reduced in number, if that's the case I am glad I am nearing the end of my showing career!i

Dionysia

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2013, 09:16:26 AM »
You're right George. There is certainly a powerful faction who have an aversion to the shows. I hope they realise how many members of thirty years plus like us will leave if the shows are decimated and how many nurserymen will lose a major source of income, both of which can only lead to a reduction in the number and variety of plants available to members in general to buy.
Paul
 in Chippenham

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2013, 09:48:15 AM »
I hope they realise how many members of thirty years plus like us will leave if the shows are decimated

Lord knows I have no brief for the AGS but isn't showing a bit like a drugs addiction once you've got it (and I certainly haven't in fact I find shows quite boring and only go for the nursery access) you can't live without it and you'll just get on with the extra miles and fewer shows.

I notice (but am not surprised) there has been no mention of this on the AGS Discussion (misnomer) pages!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Martinr

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2013, 10:05:57 AM »
David, one of the best things about shows is the nursery access, they act as a showcase for plants and nurseries. you are not alone in using them for that purpose. It's also often where nurseries source material to bring new plants to the market. many of the plants you but started on a showbench and then made it to general circulation. Yes for us addicts it is an addiction but that is not the only purpose of shows, great places for book and seed sales as well.

If you would like a discussion on the AGS forum try starting one!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2013, 12:40:35 PM »
David, one of the best things about shows is the nursery access, they act as a showcase for plants and nurseries. you are not alone in using them for that purpose. It's also often where nurseries source material to bring new plants to the market. many of the plants you but started on a showbench and then made it to general circulation. Yes for us addicts it is an addiction but that is not the only purpose of shows, great places for book and seed sales as well.

.... and you don't need to be a member to access any of those, just pay at the door. Which is one of the reasons why my AGS membership will not be renewed after this year.

I have something of a history of raising issues on those pages that affect members and need to be discussed by "on the ground members" but have found that the words "head" "raising" and "parapet" appear to militate against open discussion :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2013, 07:47:03 PM »
The independent /  financially autonomous group system the SRGC uses ensures that shows will only close if the local group decides. That seems to make more sense.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2013, 08:28:35 PM »

Done ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal