We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: narcissus in Spain, Marocco  (Read 4210 times)

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
narcissus in Spain, Marocco
« on: December 21, 2007, 08:36:08 AM »
Hello again
It's been a long time since I last accessed the forum. For the past months I've been traveling through France. In January I will move on in Spain and maybe Marocco and Portugal too. Can anyone suggest some narcissus species and places to see them in January and February. I have a very flexible itinerary so anything is welcome.
Happy holidays everyone
Razvan
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: narcissus in Spain, Marocco
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 08:58:14 AM »
Can anyone suggest some narcissus species and places to see them in January and February. I have a very flexible itinerary so anything is welcome.

Hi Razvan
We often go to southern Spain in mid February, take a look at this link for our trip in February 2007, pictures taken near Antequera which is north of Malaga.  The areas all round Ronda are excellent, Iris planifolia in massive quantities as well as narcissus.
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=275.0

I am sure that Rafa will be able to give you much more information.
Diane
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 02:39:21 PM »
Hi Razvan
Carol and I have just returned from a week in Marrakech. We hoped to do a little walking in the Atlas but did not appreciate the distances involved and that the city is a two hour drive just to the bottom of the foothlls. We had to settle for some 'tours' with a little walking. As December is the last of a nine month dry season we did not see much in flower but enjoyed the trips.
In his 'Narcssus' book John Blanchard makes several references to the Asni/Tizi-n-Test road and particularly the Moulay Brahim Gorge. We drove through the gorge but did not have the opportunity to explore it. The road is very twisty and winds through a very long, steep sided valley with a small river in the bottom of it. Given more time I would have liked to explore the riverside locations.
We are now starting to plan a more serious trip back to the area having recognised that we somehow have to find accomadation in the mountains themselves.
I wish you all the best on your trip and will be very interested to hear how you get on in Morocco.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 02:52:25 PM »
Hello
Just clearing out photofiles

Shot taken of N. serotinus(?) on Ibiza on 16 October 2007

Not exceptional but the first time I'd seen them in the wild
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 02:55:24 PM »
Lovely, Frazer, I can smell it from here!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 07:12:47 AM »

This is Narcissus miniatus, separated from ' serotinus ' by Donnison-Morgan, Koopowitz and Zonneveld in 2005.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 08:52:35 AM »

This is Narcissus miniatus, separated from ' serotinus ' by Donnison-Morgan, Koopowitz and Zonneveld in 2005.

Gerd

Thanks Gerd.

So I've still not seen N. serotinus - well I suppose that means I'll have to endure another trip to the Med!
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 10:56:30 AM »
So I've still not seen N. serotinus - well I suppose that means I'll have to endure another trip to the Med!
That's the spirit, Frazer!   Just don't forget your camera!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 07:47:32 PM »
Does no one have any further information for Razvan's initial question? We are going back to Marrakech in mid-March and will be spending a few nights in Imlil. We would be very interested in anyones comments on bulbs and other flowers and anything else in this area.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 11:34:09 AM »
My plan is up to date now, and I think I will go to Morocco for about two weeks starting the second half of February. Until then I will be in the Alpujarras mountains, south Spain. So, still I am eager to hear any suggestions for places and plants to be seen.
Happy New Year everyone!
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal