We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus in flower in September 2013  (Read 5999 times)

Mini-daffs

Re: Narcissus in flower in September 2013
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 01:00:23 PM »
 ;D
If you opened the photo of the triandus and jonquilla hybrids and the N. cordubensis you would see two very nice jonquilla hybrids. The white I suspect is fertile but I am not sure about the white one. The triandus hybrids are also very nice.
I have also posted a few more photos of seedlings and species. No descriptions and no names.
Graham, Canberra, Australia

Mini-daffs

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 01:03:32 PM »
 ;D
More photos.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 01:07:13 PM »
 ;D
Some photos to give you some idea of the number of seedlings we flower.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 01:12:45 PM »
 ;D
More photos of lots of miniatures flowering at our 'umble farm.
Lesley, not sure if you know David Adams from Christchurch but he was a New Zealand visitor to the 'umble farm.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 01:16:52 PM »
 ;D
And even more photos.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2013, 01:20:12 PM »
 ;D
Some photos of bigger daffodils that caught my eye.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 01:23:36 PM »
 ;D
More photos.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »
Not so 'umble is it? I think I might give up now and move to Oz (or NZ)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Mini-daffs

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2013, 12:30:08 AM »
 ;D
Anne you are always welcome to do weeding at the 'umble farm. I was greatly disappointed that Fermi knocked back weeding our daffodils when he was visiting!

Mini-daffs

« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2013, 12:40:34 PM »
 ;D
Hi
It was remiss of me not to post a photo for Lesley given her fondness for split cups!!
I have been busy using pollen from the Show on what is out at the moment. Hopefully I will get some miniature split cups in a few years.
Paul, had you visited the 'umble farm I would have had lots more photos as we have CCTV cameras!

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 04:14:02 PM »
Graham,
amazing narcissus wonderland. :)
Just wonder if you also suffer from narcissus fly pest?
Best wishes
Armin

Mini-daffs

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 11:10:22 AM »
 ;D
Hi
No we don't. We don't have bumblebees either. We are relatively pest free. Our biggest problem is the Sulphur Crested Cockatoos which would destroy our daffodils if we didn't net them.
It is a narcissus wonderland but not often seen other than through our photos and at the Canberra Spring Bulb and Camellia Show where we often exhibit. We had around 30 daffodil enthusiasts through recently and that is probably more than we have had through in the last 20 years. Fermi was one of our visitors so you need to coax him into telling you what he saw. It was past peak time but there was still plenty to see because of the scale on which we grow our miniatures and intermediates. You have to go up and down the rows to look at the miniatures because they are not obvious from beyond the beds. To some extent they are hidden by our standard daffodils.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2013, 09:06:49 AM »
Graham,
lucky you! ;D  I lost so many bulbs in the garden by narcissus fly that it is good to hear there are almost pest free places.
The Cockatoos are certainly an annoyance but you can simply take countermeasures.

In case of the narcissus fly - the infestation happens furtive with the result of disappearing plants and no flowers the next season.
Usually one finds the grubs by annual lifting of the bulbs. This is not possible in a natural garden as well as spraying pro-actively insecticides which I consider as  contraproductive from my point of view.

Therefore my thoughts cycle already quite a time how I could establish a natural predator population (which kinds?) but I don't have a consistent clue yet.
Any ideas from the forum members?
Best wishes
Armin

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2013, 04:51:05 AM »
Narcissus bulbocodium ? ssp obesus ?
grown from Seedex seed a number of years ago - grown in shade so the foliage isn't as recumbent as usual :-\
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2013, 10:12:59 AM »
Graham,
lucky you! ;D  I lost so many bulbs in the garden by narcissus fly that it is good to hear there are almost pest free places.
The Cockatoos are certainly an annoyance but you can simply take countermeasures.

In case of the narcissus fly - the infestation happens furtive with the result of disappearing plants and no flowers the next season.
Usually one finds the grubs by annual lifting of the bulbs. This is not possible in a natural garden as well as spraying pro-actively insecticides which I consider as  contraproductive from my point of view.

Therefore my thoughts cycle already quite a time how I could establish a natural predator population (which kinds?) but I don't have a consistent clue yet.
Any ideas from the forum members?

Armin,
For predators - I recommend a Forum-Membermeeting - keep a sufficient number of fly flaps ready and here we go!
There is a good number of excellent 'flycatchers' among them - see Forum notes - and you'll soon get
rid of your problem.
If  these 'predators' will stay too long there will be a new problem concerning board and lodging.
 ;)

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal