We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione pseudobulbs rotting off  (Read 1667 times)

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
Pleione pseudobulbs rotting off
« on: August 18, 2013, 11:17:23 PM »
A quick question for you all....

I grow quite a few Pleiones and, most years, a few of the old bulbs blacken and rot away during the Summer, a while before the new bulb is ready. The new bulb usually escapes harm, but I suspect does not reach its full potential. This is not terribly widespread, but affects a small number scattered throughout the collection. Does anyone else see this? I keep them all quite moist/wet while in growth, and this makes me wonder whether they are perhaps a little too wet. What do people think?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Alex

Guus

Re: Pleione pseudobulbs rotting off
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 11:15:17 AM »
I grow my Pleiones in baskets that are usually used for plants in ponds. So how wet it gets, the compost will dry a bit and air will reach everywhere. I don't see the 'browning' of bulbs ever. I give a lot of water but also let them 'dry-out' a bit sometimes...
So I would tend to think that they are too wet and air may not reach the roots enough.. In the wild Pleiones grow in very open structure. Greetings, Guus
Guus; Netherlands

Stephen Vella

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 01:35:57 AM »
I noticed the same.

Do pleiones prefer some sun to dry off a little? I had mine in complete shade and moist.

Also is it essential to hold off on watering when in flower.

thanks
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 10:48:18 AM »
In my experience, pleione like light, but not direct sunlight,  to grow well. Those I grew (temporarily placed and then forgot) in the shade never did anything. They should be moist but not wet at all times.  Too much water leads to rotting.

It is also not a good idea to let them dry out too much, as can happen during a very hot spell; it sets them back really badly, as I noticed this summer when one of my growing areas overheated. I am renting some space at a local garden centre, and they forgot to put shading on the glass (now corrected).

When the compost dries out completely for any time, then the small hairs on the roots shrivel up and the plant is unable to take moisture from the compost when next watered and it takes a while to recover. Leaf tips turn brown and growth of the new pseudobulb is checked.

So as in most things, a happy medium is best. And another lesson I learnt is that one can't water by date, say every Wednesday. One should water according to the condition of the plants, which depends on weather, location, compost etc. Regarding compost, one may start with a mixture that is fairly open and drains well, therefore requiring frequent watering. But during the year, the compost starts to decompose and compress and becomes more water retentive. I find picking up pots and checking the weight in my hand is a good measure. If heavy leave well alone, if light, water. ;D ;D
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 11:49:48 AM »
Back to this after a bit - sorry for the delay...

Thank you very much for all your replies. I guess I do keep them a bit moister than I should, preferring to do this rather than water too little. I certainly agree it is good to go through the collection every day or two lifting pots and making decisions, but I am a little limited in the time I have so I am more likely to just water regardless.

Cheers,

Alex

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal