We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 67th SRGC Seed Exchange - 2013-2014  (Read 12872 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: 67th SRGC Seed Exchange - 2013-2014
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2014, 05:55:46 PM »
Hi Wiveka, I'm sorry that you missed seeing the information that, for the SRGC, both main and surplus seed requests must be made at the same time .

General Note to all readers:
The various seed exchanges have differing rules and timings and so I recommend that all notes are read carefully before making a request - saves time, trouble and disappointment!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2014, 12:14:14 PM »
Surplus seed request has arrived today, just a week after the main request. Very pleased with the seed selection I have received. Many thanks to all the Seed Ex donors and Ian, Carole and their hard working team.
Best wishes,
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

GordonT

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2014, 12:26:19 PM »
Main request seed lot arrived yesterday. Now I have some work to do- figuring out germination protocols for a few of my choices. Loads of treasures to get going!!! Sorry to have missed out on Campanula zoysii, perhaps better luck next year. My thanks to all the donors and everyone involved in the exchange.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2014, 12:40:48 PM »
Nearly two dozen members have given of their time to get involved in the Seed Order Picking  and Distribution - and , as Ian B's reports show, they are making VERY  speedy progress through the process.

It is not publically recorded, I notice, how many chocolate biscuits and cakes were consumed so far in pursuit of this task -  perhaps it's better not to know!

GordonT

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2014, 12:45:17 PM »
Would an International Airlift of sustenance be in order for next year's crew? ;D ;D

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »
Would an International Airlift of sustenance be in order for next year's crew? ;D ;D
Lavender flavoured cookies?
 ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2014, 08:10:17 AM »
Our seeds arrived today after a short visit to the Customs inspectors.
Nothing removed!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

GordonT

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2014, 01:43:50 PM »
Lavender flavoured cookies?
 ;D
cheers
fermi

HA!! Perhaps Chili-Lemon cookies would add a little spice!  ;D Thank you Volunteers and Donors!

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2014, 05:53:24 PM »
I received my seeds yesterday!  Thanks so much to all the donors and volunteers who make it all possible!
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

bainbridges

« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2014, 10:53:02 PM »
Hi all

Week four update from the seed distribution crew.

All the seed requests are now picked - main and surplus - and only a handful of (mostly American) requests  are still to be mailed: these are the ones where we have to generate a list for customs, or where we're waiting for permits to arrive.  Carole and I will have a few nights' 'homework' to finish these off as permits arrive.

We'd like to say a big thankyou to the 24 members who helped pick and pack seeds; at least it's warmish and dry for them doing a January job. 

Maggi asked how many cakes and biscuits got eaten in the process - simple answer, all of them!  And international food parcels would be very welcome .....

Best of sowing and growing to you all from the Distribution Team.

Ian and Carole
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:30:35 PM by bainbridges »

fixpix

« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »
Hello everyone.
Got my seeds last Friday I think. I was too busy to let you know.
Many thanks for all the effort... I saw the pictures with that huge hall, full of tables with seed trays.
Not so many first choices, but overall, I am pleased!
I'm a beginner to all this, not much of a contribution yet.
Once again, THANK YOU !
Some of my creations :)
http://edenium.sunphoto.ro/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2014, 01:51:37 PM »
Glad to hear your seeds have arrived, Calin. 
Of course, you are a very recent member- joining only two days before the seed ordering closed, so I am delighted to hear of the speed the Seed Team has sent your request- in future years, especially if you can also donate seed to the exchange,  you will be even more delighted, I think!! :)

fixpix

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2014, 05:06:30 PM »
Yes Maggi, I admit, I heard about this exchange and I wanted to give it a try.
Plus I am really just starting to feel more attracted to alpines.
Hopefully I will soon be able to call myself a donor :)
Some of my creations :)
http://edenium.sunphoto.ro/

Mini bulb lover

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2014, 09:47:28 AM »
I received (most of) my seed a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to everyone involved.  ;)

Unfortunately the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service (AQIS) had opened my envelope and removed and destroyed my Crocus flavus seed. Their letter stated that the seed wasn't on the allowed list and as such the seed was immediately destroyed. The fact is, it actually is on the allowed list.

I had searched all my requested seed on the ICON database online (http://apps.daff.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_querycontent.asp) before submitting my seed request.
The AQIS officer that destroyed my seed obviously didn't look at the bottom of the allowed crocus list. Crocus flavus isn't listed alphabetically but it is on the list; therefore the AQIS officer made a mistake.

The officer that returned my call (he never supplied his name) originally blamed the fact that the seed packet didn't have the botanical name printed on it as the reason it was destroyed. I told him if that was the case then none of the seed would have been forwarded to me as they all only had numbers on them; a corresponding named list was enclosed. I told him it was because the officer made a mistake as the ICON database list is not in alphabetical order (most of it is but new entries seem to be just added to the bottom). He said that was probably the case. He did explain that the legislation stated the botanical name MUST be printed on the seed packet (so basically there’s no legal remedy as they can state the packet didn’t comply with the legislation). I told him that I would give that feedback to the sender but I doubt they would be able to do that. I suggested that the ICON list be updated so that it was in alphabetical order. He said he has forwarded that request onto the department.

He explained that they have thousands of packets to review at a time on the conveyor belt and they have to make decisions quickly which can lead to errors. Cross referencing numbers on packets to numbered lists was time consuming in large numbers. He said the amount of seed coming through the facility had increased substantially in the past few years.

I asked him why the seed was destroyed immediately rather than sending me a letter and allowing me to clear up their mistake. He said that last year they changed the policy so that any seed under $100 of value that is rejected by officers is then destroyed immediately.  Over $100 the seed is kept and a letter sent to offer the seed be returned to sender for around $90. At the start of the call he was trying to get me to state how much the seed was worth but I wouldn't give him a figure. I guess unless there's an invoice with the seeds they would have to guess the value, which seems arbitrary to me. I said that the <$100 limit seemed geared towards commercial stock and discriminated home gardeners.

I saw some seed packets from another seed exchange recently (I think it was NARGS). The seed packets had stickers on them with the number and name of the seed printed on them. I don’t know if that’s something that the SRGC could think about implementing in the future? Maybe someone could check with them to see how much it cost to implement and if it was difficult. I suppose it’s possible that AQIS could eventually stop all seed packets coming in that aren’t labelled with the botanical name (especially with Government cut backs) and then all the Australian SRGC members would be out of the seed exchange. It’s frustrating for all involved.

Some other Australian members that I know have had similar issues this year.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:50:03 AM by Mini bulb lover »
Jon Ballard
Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - Australia

Lover of small flowering bulbs.
"Good things come in small packages"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2014, 11:32:32 AM »
This question of labelling seed packets with names instead of numbers is one that some of us have been asking for for some years.  We have been told that it is a) not possible  b)not practical or  c) just too difficult - none of which I personally think are valid reasons.  There are several small seed services which mange to label their seed fully and , especially given the regulations for various of our oversea seed destinations, this is something which will HAVE to be addressed sooner rather than later.

I know others  have mentioned a similar problem - this is is very important question for future seed distribution to continue  to the likes of Australia, New Zealand and the USA.
 I very much hope that it will be seriously addressed by the SRGC. 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal