We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 67th SRGC Seed Exchange - 2013-2014  (Read 12893 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
67th SRGC Seed Exchange - 2013-2014
« on: August 01, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »
67th SRGC Seed Exchange - 2013-2014 - Advance Notice

Important Announcement: Changes to Seed Exchange Charges
In the last two years, the cost of international postage from the UK has soared; it has more than doubled. As a result of this, Council has decided, with regret, that we will have to charge for all seed requests in future, from both UK and overseas members.
We have decided to keep the rates unchanged; this means that all members will pay £5, 7€ or $10 for their main seed request in 2013-14, and the same for each order of 25 packets in the surplus distribution. Full details of how to pay will be included in the Seed List and online, and you can pay online for both online and paper requests. We can only accept cheques in sterling from a UK bank; we can accept sterling, Euros or US dollars in cash.

Autumn 2013 Seed Donations
A Seed exchange is  only as good as the seed donated- please support the SRGC Seed Ex. by making a donation of seed from your plants.
Please send seed donations, individually packaged per variety, preferably in a paper envelope, and cleaned of all seed cases, debris, insects, etc to:-
Prof. Stuart Pawley, Acres of Keillour, Methven, Perth, Scotland, UK, PH1 3RA.
Please include your name and address and a clearly written alphabetical list of the seed you are sending.
Please don’t be put off if you only have a small amount of seed of a species, or only a few species to send - it may be the small amount or seed that no-one else has, and that someone would love to have.
The deadline for seed to arrive at Stuart’s door is 31st October 2013.
If you have “late maturing” seed that cannot be sent until later, please send the information about this as early as possible and before 31st October, to Stuart at gsp.srgc@btinternet.com. Send the list in the text of an e-mail, not as an attachment. Stuart can’t afford a computer virus at this critical time. It is important to send the information early so we can produce the seed list in good time.
Please send late seed as soon as you can.

Seed Lists
All donors and overseas "postal" members will receive a seed list by post automatically. Home non-donors should request a list from Stuart Pawley, and send a C5 stamped addressed envelope to him. Last date for requesting a list is 14th December. The seed list will be available from around 10th November, and will go on-line at the same time; you can browse and order online as well as by post.
For online ordering you will need a password and you will also need to enter your membership number (it’s on the envelope that The Rock Garden arrives in) Queries to info@srgc.org.uk
To request seed Members’ subscriptions for the 2013-2014 season must be valid – renewal of current subscriptions are due by October 2013.

Seed Packeting
Seed packeting will be done during November / early December. Ian Pryde would be grateful to hear from any UK member willing to volunteer to packet seeds. Full instructions and guidance will be provided; details from Ian Pryde on 01875 615185 or at ipryde@btinternet.com

Seed Distribution: early 2014

Seed requests must reach Alan Hayes by 15th January; we cannot guarantee to meet requests received later. The Edinburgh Rock Garden Group begins seed distribution in early January; we aim to have all main requests completed by January 18th.
Donors’ seed requests are completed first, on the basis of their donation record. Donating more seed and for more years moves you up the list. Non-donors and surplus seed requests will be dealt with in order of their arrival date with Alan Hayes.
To request seed Members’ subscriptions for the 2013-2014 season must be valid – renewal of current subscriptions are due by October 2013.

Family members can make two orders. Details online later.
Surplus seed distribution will not begin until all main requests are completed; and not before Jan. 18th, so members will receive their main and surplus requests a few weeks apart.
We hope to complete surplus distribution by the first weekend in February.
Please do not enquire about the whereabouts of seed requests until after 5th February;
such queries should then be addressed to alan.hayes31@blueyonder.co.uk
US Members
US members must have a ‘Small Lots of Seeds’ permit, which is issued by APHIS.
You can find details of how to get a permit at:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_imports/smalllots_seed.shtml
This must be a ‘small lots’ permit, as this does not require UK phytosanitary certification.
You must enclose a copy of the permit and conditions and a green/yellow customs label for each order - one for a main order, and one for each surplus order of 50 packets.
If you order online, you must still post the permit documents and labels to Alan Hayes (or you may send them to Stuart Pawley with your seed donation). You can copy your permit as many times as you need. Please ensure your permit is still valid before you send copies to us; the permits are valid for three years.
We must stress that “no permit, no seed” is the SRGC rule! We will do our best to get everyone their seed, but it must be in compliance with USDA regulations.
US, Australian and New Zealand members
We still need you, please, to send a numbered list of seeds requested, unless you order online, when the computer will do that job for you and us.
Other overseas members
Please check with your authorities whether there are any import requirements to your country, let us know and send any necessary documentation. We do wish to comply with any laws relating to seed imports.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:59:11 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Re: 67th SRGC Seed Exchange - 2013-2014
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »
A further reminder to ask members to donate seed to the SRGC Exchange :

We rely on membrs' donations to fuel the exchange.

Please send seed donations, individually packaged per variety, preferably in a paper envelope, and cleaned of all seed cases, debris, insects, etc to:-
Prof. Stuart Pawley, Acres of Keillour, Methven, Perth, Scotland, UK, PH1 3RA.
Please include your name and address and a clearly written alphabetical list of the seed you are sending.
Please don’t be put off if you only have a small amount of seed of a species, or only a few species to send - it may be the small amount or seed that no-one else has, and that someone would love to have.
The deadline for seed to arrive at Stuart’s door is 31st October 2013.
If you have “late maturing” seed that cannot be sent until later, please send the information about this as early as possible and before 31st October, to Stuart Pawley at gsp.srgc@btinternet.com.
Please note that this is a new email address!

Send the list in the text of an e-mail, not as an attachment.  It is important to send the information early so the seed list can be produced in good time.
Please send late seed as soon as you can.

Your contributions are much appreciated !

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 07:54:11 PM »
As you collect your seed to send to the exchange and late, as you sow your seed from the exchanges and watch the seedlings emerge and grow, please bear in mind the projects we have in progress to record as many photos of seed ( taken to show scale as well as appearance) and of seedlings  -  there are threads in the Forum to post these photos as a record which we hope to build into a large resource to aid  growers and seed exchange helpers alike!
656 pictures so far..... :) .... only about 4500  to go before we have a really useful  number of them -  if you are collecting seed for the SRGC Seed Exchange, for any of the other Exchanges and why wouldn't you be doing that?) , or even just for your own use - if you can, please take a photo of those for which you are confident of the naming - on  graph paper of a known size, or alongside a metric ruler, to show the scale of the seeds.  Save these as a file under 200kb, ( and approx 750 x 600 pixels in size)  name the picture with the name of the plant and post them to the Seeds to Scale pages : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4426.msg283843#msg283843

( we also have a thread for photos of germinating seedlings, to help with IDing those too :  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6490.0 )

With a little help from those of you collecting seed for the exchanges we can build something that  is freely available  and can help all of us ...... please help  :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:36:30 PM »
The 67th SRGC Seed Exchange online service is not operational as yet- it is hoped it will become "live" in the next few days .

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 06:48:25 PM »
67th SRGC Seed Exchange 2013-2014

Main Seed Exchange info Page : Click Here

The Online  SRGC Seed Exchange Service is now live  - access via the page link  above.

Please read all instructions carefully.

Online ordering and payment is now enabled.

1) Postal members (those who receive their Journals by post): For online ordering initial access you will need the password from the last journal, or the seedlist paper copy,  if you have received it already.  Then you will need  to choose a password and you will also need to enter your membership number (it’s on the envelope that The Rock Garden arrives in.) You must re-register each year.   

2) For new "Electronic members" (those who acccess the twice yearly Journal online) : You do not have to register. Please log in with your SRGC.NET online membership number and password. e-members please note: you can get your online membership number by logging onto SRGC.NET and selecting the Content – Online Membership – What Is My Online Membership Number And Email Address menu option. The password you will use on here is the same one you use to log into SRGC.NET
Please enter your online membership number in this format: for example e100999 NOT e-100999 NOTE THERE IS NO HYPHEN!

Route to check membership number for Electronic subscribers :
 418096-0

(edit to add screengrab)

N. B. Seed Exchange closed for orders 15th January 2014.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:58:21 AM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 07:26:35 PM »
67th SRGC seedlist to browse : click here

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 12:09:06 AM »
 In the registration process for the Seed Exchange, you will see  this  Note About Email Addresses:
"Do not use throw-away email addresses or free email addresses from Microsoft such as live.com, hotmail, rocketmail, outlook.com etc. If you do you will not be able to activate your account!"

The difficulty arises because hotmail address and the like often do not
 display activation emails so you do not see it to complete the process.

(Sometimes an activation email can be caught up in the  online SPAM filter of any email provider - it is always worth checking the filter to see if a missing email is trapped in there.)

If this happens, please email info@srgc.org.uk for help.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:17:04 PM by Maggi Young »

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »
I wanted to fill my online seed order but I'm a donor and I see only 16 first choices... Where I have made a mistake ?  ???
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 05:27:35 PM »
I wanted to fill my online seed order but I'm a donor and I see only 16 first choices... Where I have made a mistake ?  ???

Hello Nicole,
 Yes, you must not have ticked the box to show you are a donor.   Leave it with me.

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
Hi,
I've pointed out a small mistake in the seed list:
Item 4300: tropaeolum sajanensis. This species doesn't exist. Might be trollius sajanensis?
JP
Lyon / FRANCE

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »
Hi,
I've pointed out a small mistake in the seed list:
Item 4300: tropaeolum sajanensis. This species doesn't exist. Might be trollius sajanensis?
JP
Thank you JP - have you emailed to the seed team?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 05:38:27 PM »
Thanks to those who have been in touch to say how easy they have found the seed exchange system to use.

For those few having problems - can I make a plea to read the instructions carefully before you begin - our system is our own and will likey not be identical to any other you use  -  follow each page through the process and contact me if you have trouble !

Lovely to see the orders pouring in - the Seed Team will have a busy time ahead!

Jonna

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 06:38:27 PM »
Thanks to those who have been in touch to say how easy they have found the seed exchange system to use.

For those few having problems - can I make a plea to read the instructions carefully before you begin - our system is our own and will likey not be identical to any other you use  -  follow each page through the process and contact me if you have trouble !

Lovely to see the orders pouring in - the Seed Team will have a busy time ahead!

Well, I was one of the few ones having problems to log in and, Maggi, I want to thank you for your nice and timely response.
I was very happy to see that this year we could easily link to google if we wanted to know more about a plant. For me that's a huge advantage.
Thanks to you Maggi and thanks to all who made this huge seed exchange possible  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
zone 6 Belgium

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 06:40:55 PM »
As a first time user of the seed exchange system I will add my voice here.

I definitely found it easy to use, with clear instruction, a choice of methods for entering choices and if you know what you want and have the numbers ready you can place your order in minutes!

Thanks are also due to Maggi from me for help with registration. One useful piece of advice is to ditch those Hotmail accounts!  ;)
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 07:45:02 PM »
Doesn't seem to work for me! I clicked on the link in the confirmation email but it said I was already registered, but when I tried to log on it said my credentials were not valid or I may not be registered!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal