We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Meconopsis punicea - fresh seeds  (Read 2244 times)

goworho

• Ein Rhododendrongarten in der Pfalz
Meconopsis punicea - fresh seeds
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:01:20 PM »
Hello,
I'm cultivating quite a few (especially blue) Meconopsis. Being impressed by the overwhelming M. punicea I would like to start them growing from seeds. However,  I had not succeed yet, probably due to old seeds that are not viable any more. Seeds that come from commercial sources as well as those from seed exchanges are not fresh enough. Does anybody know, where fresh material can be achieved?
Cheers
Gotthelf

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Meconopsis punicea - fresh seeds
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 12:05:07 AM »
I'm sorry I can't help with that. Maybe you could ask Ian Christie or someone in Scotland where it grows so well. Having said that, once you have a plant or two, the best seed is from your own and even sown right away, in my experience it takes 8 months to germinate. Almost 8 months to the day, at the beginning of spring, so don't assume it's like say grandis and many others and will be up in 2 or 3 weeks. Good luck with finding a source.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 12:06:41 AM »
PS Have you tried Jellito's in Germany? Large quantities of M. punicea were sent there a couple or 3 years ago from a NZ source and they may have plants for seed growing on. Worth a try anyway.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

goworho

• Ein Rhododendrongarten in der Pfalz
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 05:03:07 PM »
I'm sorry I can't help with that. Maybe you could ask Ian Christie or someone in Scotland where it grows so well. Having said that, once you have a plant or two, the best seed is from your own and even sown right away, in my experience it takes 8 months to germinate. Almost 8 months to the day, at the beginning of spring, so don't assume it's like say grandis and many others and will be up in 2 or 3 weeks. Good luck with finding a source.
Hi Lesley,
thanks for your answer. I know that M. punicea is trickier than other Meconopsis. As you said, I just have to cultivate one plant and to harvest its seeds. Unfortunately Cox (Glendoick) does not provide it presently. I had already inquired Jelitto. They believe that one should have even success with older seeds when treated as frost germinators.
Cheers
Gotthelf

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 05:54:20 PM »
hello please send me message with address then I can send you some M. punicea seed we do sow some when ripe but get every bit as good results wen sown early January, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 06:19:23 PM »
There can be  Meconopsis punicea seed in the SRGC Seed Exchange  - you need to be a current paid up  member to access that, or course.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal