We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Meconopsis 2013  (Read 5553 times)

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
Re: Meconopsis 2013
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 09:01:25 AM »
A few of my own cookei-hybrids have stared flowering, the dark purple one is quite nice and very vigorous, but the flowers are sadly somewhat small.

Yeah that purple colour is really quite nice. Is it just a back cross or just a straight cross?
Living Collection Researcher at the Botanics
Twitter: @alan_elliott

arisaema

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 09:51:01 AM »
Yeah that purple colour is really quite nice. Is it just a back cross or just a straight cross?

Just the straight cross, the majority of pods were largely empty, so when I got a full pod on one of the puniceas I figured it was the straight species - and sold the majority of the resulting 50 or so seedlings under that name... A couple of those I've saved are rhizomatous like quintuplinervia, which should ease propagation, but it doesn't look like they will flower before I go back home to China.

More pictures here:
http://www.hagegal.no/hagefora/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=43356
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4027.msg197338#msg197338

Philippe

• Landscapes photographs and alpine plants
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
The most amenable and meconopsis-friendly weather today to welcome the blossom of both first Meconopsis in the garden here: overcast, fresh, with some light drizzle from time to time.
Meconopsis integrifolia finally opens up its first flower, after 5 years from sowing. With the wet weather the flower will probably stay closed today, but it's already a marvellous sight for me, and a big reward.

Then the Meconopsis simplicifolia, concentrating all its beauty in this lonely flower some 30/40cms above the ground rosette of small and really not enticing foliage.

The first ex betonicifolia hybrids should start to open by the end of the week.
NE-France,Haut-Chitelet alpine garden,1200 m.asl
Rather cool/wet summer,reliable 4/5 months winter snow cover
Annual precip:200/250cm,3.5°C mean annual temp.

Roma

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 08:24:03 PM »
I like this combination (quite accidental)

Meconopsis quintuplinervia and Meconopsis x beamishii
also the lovely red hairs on M. x beamishii seed pods
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »
Help needed.  The two meconopsis in the pictures were grown from seed sown in 2011.
The plants look perfectly healthy but I have not seen flower heads like these before.  Are the diseased, a hybrid or a species ?  One of the plants is the standard "blue" and the other was red in bud and opened to lilac.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 06:45:17 PM »
We do sometimes get a crowded head, like the one shown in the  your first picture, Tom.  Just a passing aberration I think. Your second, fasciated flower  is probably nothing more than  a random fasciation  - which I think there are as many explanations for as there are hours in the day -  and the  odd colour is something  I always attribute  to the weather and Ian always worries will be constant  and spread to others so he pulls ' em up if they show like that.....   :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 10:09:48 PM »
Some recent pictures of M. 'Slieve Donard' ...
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 10:12:31 PM »
M. 'Slieve Donard'
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:55:51 AM by Maggi Young »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 10:14:31 PM »
M. 'Slieve Donard'
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:56:04 AM by Maggi Young »

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 07:08:27 PM »
Two different Meconopsis horridula (I think) from the same seed batch.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Knud

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 08:00:43 PM »
So many beautiful and interesting images of Meconopsis. Buds and seedpods as nice as the flowers.

I had M. horridula flower for the first time this year, seeds from SRGC 2011. I was very excited when the first bloom appeared (first picture) early June, but that plant is still going, flowering now around its base. It must have had 20-25 flowers. The same plant is shown on the left in the second picture, taken mid June.

A 'bunch' of self-seeded large blue poppies has appeared in the garden the last few years. They bloomed a little last year, and this year they were really nice, so they must be perennial. One is shown in the third picture. It certainly was a good year for Meconopsis here, there was a very nice display in the Stavanger Botanical Garden. It seems you had a good Meconopsis year too, Trond.

Knud
Knud Lunde, Stavanger, Norway, Zone 8

gerrit

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 08:58:50 PM »
M. 'Slieve Donard'

What an amazing photo shoot of this incredible fine 'Slieve Donard'.
Gerrit from the Netherlands
Gardener on the seabottom

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal