We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pulsatilla alpina alpifolia  (Read 3220 times)

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
Pulsatilla alpina alpifolia
« on: December 13, 2007, 04:12:25 PM »
Hello everyone,
I am looking for Pulsatilla alpina alpifolia as a present for my aunt. I like making her presents with beautiful and rare plants. If anyone will have any seeds or plants in spring or later, please let me know. :) The price do not matter so much.
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

My photos: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/cephalotus/

Heather Smith

• Beginning a new life
Re: Pulsatilla alpina alpifolia
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 03:19:12 AM »
This is my favourite flower!  I have been trying to grow it for years. I have never got a flower and have seedlings this year from last year.  Too late I was told not to prick them out in the first year but to leave them in the seedpot until the following year - they would do better that way.  Your best bet is seeds and as fresh as possible, preferably from someone who has collected them in the wild and brought them home for sowing.
The plant is not easy to keep going and most are short-lived in cultivation, but if you are lucky you can sometimes get a longer-lived strain (so I'm told).

Good luck. :)

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 08:46:38 AM »
This is my favourite flower!  I have been trying to grow it for years. I have never got a flower and have seedlings this year from last year.  Too late I was told not to prick them out in the first year but to leave them in the seedpot until the following year - they would do better that way.  Your best bet is seeds and as fresh as possible, preferably from someone who has collected them in the wild and brought them home for sowing.
The plant is not easy to keep going and most are short-lived in cultivation, but if you are lucky you can sometimes get a longer-lived strain (so I'm told).

In my cool climate in North Norway P. alpina ssp apiifolia is not short-lived. On the contrary, it stays for years, only growing bigger and flowering better with every new year. I have seen the same in many gardens both in here and in north Sweden. So I guess our climate must be perfect for this plant, like it is for many other alpine plants.
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 10:41:00 AM »
So I guess our climate must be perfect for this plant, like it is for many other alpine plants.

That means it likes to have wet conditions in summer and dry in winter. It may be a little problem here in Poland, especially in my region. I live in the hottest area of my country. I will provide it rocky soil so the water will easily soak through it. In winter I will protect it from rains, because NOW it is hardly ever snowing. :/
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

My photos: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/cephalotus/

Heather Smith

• Beginning a new life
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 09:16:01 PM »

In my cool climate in North Norway P. alpina ssp apiifolia is not short-lived. On the contrary, it stays for years, only growing bigger and flowering better with every new year. I have seen the same in many gardens both in here and in north Sweden. So I guess our climate must be perfect for this plant, like it is for many other alpine plants.

Could you send me seed when your plants finish flowering, please, Magnar?  Fresh seed would be very gratefully received.
Cheers
Heather

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 10:36:30 AM »
[

Could you send me seed when your plants finish flowering, please, Magnar?  Fresh seed would be very gratefully received.
Cheers
Heather
[/quote]

I will be most happy to send you fresh seeds. But you better remind me of it in late summer or early autumn.

Magnar
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Heather Smith

• Beginning a new life
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 09:35:05 PM »
Thanks very much.  I'll do that!
Cheers
Heather

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 06:06:01 PM »
Is this the one (apiifolia)? A glorious thing it is.

A photo of it in Oxen Pond Botanic Garden in St. John's, Nfld.

Have never succeeded getting the seedlings of it to last more than a few months in the garden.  I appears to require scree conditions in Newfoundland where there is a lot of winter wet.

Summer cold must be a requirement as well???

Any others having luck?

johnw
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 11:53:38 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal