We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The Big '50'  (Read 5147 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
The Big '50'
« on: December 12, 2007, 08:39:20 PM »
Congratulations Ian it's still a great resource and absolutely vital for many of us.

By the way I am available and am an excellent bag carrier (or in your case camera carrier!). ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: The Big '50'
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 09:21:37 PM »
Ian who is 50?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:26:21 PM »
It's Log 50 ! ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:55:31 PM »
Ian great shots with the new camera glad you have the macro lens as I wondered how you were doing such good close ups with the standard lens. You mentioned reflecting the built in flash with a sheet of paper - can you give  a little more detail how you work this as I have been tempted at tiimes in buying a ring flash which can be costly and will try anything to save money.
By the way most of my crocuses and also many narcissus suffered from the April warm and dry period or some of my incompetence. I hope to reverse this this year but I am still learning with bulbs and with most things sound experience comes at a high price.
Please keep the bulb log going it gives me great encouragement particularly when things are not going to plan
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Len Rhind

• Bulb Log Index Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 01:30:43 AM »
Ian, could I ask you to keep us appraised of how the life of the camera's battery is between charges. Most rechargeables do not seem to last long and perhaps this one is different. Many thanks, Len.
Surrey, B.C. Canada

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 10:08:46 AM »
Ian
The problem with using the built in flash for close up photographs is that the subject is often so close to the lens that a shhadow is cast over all or part of the subject.
I use two basic methods:-
1) Hold a sheet of white paper or other reflective type material, tin foil can be good, so it wraps over the top of and faces back onto the subject. This should reflect enough of the flash light back onto the subject.
2) Place a piece of white card or paper in front of the flash to direct all the light upwards onto another sheet of paper held as in 1) to reflect it back again.

Both methods are basic and you will need to experiment a bit until you find out the best angles but are much cheaper than the ring flash. I have always wanted a ring flash as well.

Len, I will report on battery life along with any other pros and cons I find as I get used to my new camera.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 11:55:00 AM »
I used to have an Olympus ring flash for my OM4 but, as usual, built in obsolescence meant it no longer fitted the new Olympus digital cameras so I sold it on Ebay. At least I got more than I paid for it. :-\
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 01:25:59 PM »
Ian, could I ask you to keep us appraised of how the life of the camera's battery is between charges. Most rechargeables do not seem to last long and perhaps this one is different. Many thanks, Len.

Different brands of battery go more or less time between charges. You can get higher capacity batteries. Also depends how much you use the camera's screen.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 02:09:52 PM »
Ian - Interesting to read your comments about white balance, and the yellow colour cast. I purchased an Olympus E410 recently (no flip up screen) first lot of pictures posted on Harlow Carr posts. http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=561.30
Interesting to note Mark's comments about the yellow of 'Cedric Morris'.

Len I purchased a spare battery from the internet, about a quarter of the price of olympus replacement. Will comment on battery life later. Not much chance of doing any photography for me at the moment. Only weekends and they've been rotten lately.
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 05:13:19 PM »
Thanks for your tips Ian I will experiment as you suggest. Anyway maybe I will write to Santa and see if he can drop in a ring flash if all else fails

With regard to battery life I think SLR batteries are much more substancial than compacts my Nikon D70 battery will do over 1000 shots including the odd flash (the camera that is ) and  spare batteries which I bought at much lower cost than Nikon work almost as well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 06:46:48 PM »
Thanks for your tips Ian I will experiment as you suggest. Anyway maybe I will write to Santa and see if he can drop in a ring flash if all else fails

With regard to battery life I think SLR batteries are much more substancial than compacts my Nikon D70 battery will do over 1000 shots including the odd flash (the camera that is ) and  spare batteries which I bought at much lower cost than Nikon work almost as well.

Glad you clarified the flash Ian :o
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 07:52:24 PM »
David other flashing does not give any trouble with the camera batteries ::) :P :o
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 08:02:29 PM »
David other flashing does not give any trouble with the camera batteries ::) :P :o

;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2007, 12:31:10 AM »
Glad you clarified the flash Ian

Well David in this weather I would probably have to leap out and describe myself anyway  ;D ;D

Len Rhind

• Bulb Log Index Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 07:16:11 PM »
Putting the (ahem!) humor aside, the subject of photography and cameras seems to create a lot of interest. Might it not be worth having a dedicated photography section to trade ideas in and pull them all the photo threads together?
Len
Surrey, B.C. Canada

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal