We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: To Trade: Hippeastrum, Sprekelia  (Read 1811 times)

jshields

• Shields Gardens
To Trade: Hippeastrum, Sprekelia
« on: June 10, 2013, 09:49:05 PM »
I have seeds to trade of Sprekelia howardii and of Hippeastrum harrisonii.  I'm looking for seeds of other uncommon Hippeastrum species (no hybrids!), or of rare species of Haemanthus or Scadoxus.

H. harrisonii is a rare species from Argentina that lives in marshy areas, and goes dormant in summer.  I grow mine with the pots standing in trays filled with water most of the time.  They do not like the very dry air in the greenhouse. 

Sprekelia howardii is a rare dwarf species from Mexico.  I let it stand outdoors in full sun (and full rain) in summer, but it spends the winter absolutely bone dry in the cool (45 F) greenhouse.

I do not sell; the business is closed forever.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Ezeiza

Re: To Trade: Hippeastrum, Sprekelia
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 05:58:35 PM »
Jim, always exciting to see your images of rare plants.

May I mention that H. harrisonii is a rare species from Uruguay, not from Argentina. It is always a problem to maintain habitat info secret to avoid plundering.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

pontus

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 11:40:56 PM »
Hello Jim,

I would be interested in seeds (or offsets maybe of you have some spare) of those sp....

I will look around at what I might have as seeds or spare bulbs/plants to offer you in exchange...

are those 2 easy to grow from seed?

Pontus

pontus

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:53:31 PM »
i see on your list that you are looking for arisaema sp and south african zantadeshia sp...I have several...are there any special ones that you are after? You could also have some gladiolus flanagannii if you are searching for that as part of your sa gladiolus wish list

Pontus

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 12:57:44 AM »
I don't yet have Zantedeschia rehmannii;  I could use seeds of Z. jucunda.  I'm particular about getting the pure species and not any hybrids.   There are many Arisaema that I don't have yet.  Gladiolus flanaganii would be most welcome!   

I also have bulbs of Hippe. harrisonii, but no access to phytos; stop by my place if you are ever in Indiana.   

There are also going to be a few seeds of Hymenocallis guerreroensis, from the looks of the inflorescences.

pontus

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 10:40:42 AM »
ok,

which arisaemas do you grow already?

I have Zantadeshia jucunda, if they flower this summer there will hopefully be some seeds...they had a slow start this year due to the cold, but are coming along nicely now in the 32°c heat and night rainstorms!

luckily switzerland no longer needs a phyto since 2010 for bringing in plants here, and I regularly recieve plants from the USA...even tasmania without problem, so it should be fine sending plants and seeds here.

how are they in indiana? can i easilly post you plants and seeds?

are you still planning to maybe come for a summer trip to Switzerland as you mentioned before?

Pontus

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 01:54:16 PM »
I may visit Switzerland in 2014.  I'm staying at home just now, but my wife is visiting her sisters and brother in Winterthur as I write this.  I presume she is having fun, since she has not phoned me in several days.

I have a few Arisaema growing outdoors in the ground -- besides the native triphyllum and dracontium, I have heterophyllum,  ringens, and sikokianum.  In pots, I have fargesii and yunnanense.

To receive bulbs, corms, tubers, etc., I will need my plant import permit (now being renewed I hope) and a phyto.  Small lots of seeds can come in with a seed import permit, also being renewed.  No phyto is needed for the seeds, just the permit.

Jim

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal