We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Reports from the 2nd International Czech Rock Garden Conference and Garden visits  (Read 61815 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Lesley - if you look on their website you will see a little comment appearing in the bottom right hand corner about CD's and if you click on it they have produced two CD's of their songs. I would love to go back sometime and see more of the country and the rock gardens and how Jiri's tufa garden is developing. It was a great experience and opportunity to meet so many gardeners from around the world - a real credit to those who organised it.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Bring on the Third International Czech Rock Garden Conference!
 ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Thanks for that Tim. I'm afraid I'm not very good at looking for information on websites, even here on the SRGC one. I usually go to a book or whatever. However, I WILL look at Marika's group's site and order something. I think their singing was just superb and exactly what was needed to lighten a very intense and full (but wonderful) programme of lectures. Yes Fermi, roll on the third, but alas I won't be able to go.  :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Those who attended the conference and garden visits or who have read and enjoyed these pages, will have seen pictures of the garden of  Jiří Papoušek - some pix from Ian Christie start here : https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10484.msg276073#msg276073 - one of the most amazing thing in the garden was the alpine tunnel, with the most extraordinary tufa wall, which runs for around 12m along the side of the house.
Here is Ian C's picture of the wall in May 2013, not quite finished...

and now Jiri has shown this picture of the tunnel as it is now - it  has doors  at each end now...

isn't it super? There must be Botanic gardens who would love to have this feature!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 06:14:48 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

astragalus

Wouldlove to hear some construction details from Jiri.  Was cement used in the wall?
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Anne, Jiri has posted some more  photos  of the process on Facebook - I'll ask if I may copy them here.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
The wonderful Jiri has given his blessing ..

"Here is the journey, of the tufa tunnel.  Plants are there just for one year, they will need time, plus they are slower in tufa and I don't fertilise them. Not all dionysias are happy there, but I try. Wall is west oriented but shaded by house. After longer experience I will prepare lecture about it."

Dionysia afghanica in tufa tunnel

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Maggi said there was a picture of the Paeonia tenuifolia that we all saw in a garden during the bus trip so I scrolled through this thread to find it.  Tim took the photo, thanks for posting Tim!  And scrolling through brought back some wonderful memories of the trip!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
This is Tim's picture of the garden with the wonderful Paeonia tenuifolia display
It's hard to judge from this shot just how wide an area they spread over. It was a breath-taking sight! We were just walking along the road, on our way to a nearby garden when we suddenly  passed this glorious display.

I only just realised that the name wasn't in Tim's  original  post so the search did not find it- I've edited Tim's original post now to remedy that.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 01:05:00 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
The KSP's May show has just begun - see a short video in the garden here :

May's Big Spring Flower Show 2015 / Velká jarní květnová výstava květin 2015    video by Jiří Cysař

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
Thank you for putting that on, Maggi.  It looks better weather than we had!

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
It is my sad duty to advise of the death on 23rd October 2015  of Ota Vlasák, one of the many great Czech rock and alpine growers, who has died, aged 70 after a long illness.

Ota had been ill for some time  but was determined in 2013 to meet visitors to his garden- even managing, having just come from treatment in hospital, to talk to visitors from the 2nd Czech Rock Garden Conference in his beautiful garden.
He was well-known, too, for his work with the famous Prague Alpine plant exhibitions.

Ota Vlasák will be sadly missed by his family and friends, to whom we extend our condolences.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 09:09:15 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal