We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS show at Harlow Carr - 17th October 2015  (Read 4199 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: AGS show at Harlow Carr - 17th October 2015
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2015, 07:16:11 AM »
And some more ..
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2015, 07:19:59 AM »
And finally ...
Cliff Booker

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2015, 09:30:47 AM »
Fantastic photos Cliff - would I be wrong to think that this Show at Harlow Carr is something of a 'springboard' for the AGS again? I liked the little display of gentians from Hartside and the sign above it that Ian Instone showed on the AGS website emphasising 'ALPINES' (even though I and many others grow a whole lot of other plants... especially woodlanders). The only feeling I have is of being rather left out and a bit lonely here down in the south... there isn't that same very strong community of gardeners who grow alpines to show like this but there are those of us who also love growing them in the garden too, which maybe chimes with someone like Helen Johnstone who has joined the AGS recently and has spoken of this on the AGS Discussion pages. It will certainly inspire those of us who want to make the new venue for the Kent Shows a good success! And we are all talking about this here on the SRGC Forum...
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2015, 09:59:13 AM »
Hi Tim, many thanks for the very kind comments about the photos.  I believe that this is a very sensible and appealing new location for an AGS Show, that fits nicely into the remit of attracting new members from already established garden visitors and enthusiasts. The AGS show held recently in a garden centre/nursery in the north-east targeted the same demographic and I am certain that there are enormous garden centres across the land that could be utilised in the same way … venues with huge car parks, available space for show benches, etc., a constant supply of horticulturally aware visitors, restaurants, toilet facilities, lecture possibilities and most with owners more than ready to welcome the influx of alpine fanatics that these excellent shows attract.
Harlow Carr itself is a very beautiful venue, the show hall perhaps less so.  The actual show itself was split between two medium sized rooms on the first floor that proved quite crowded on the day, while the sales tables were on the ground floor and attracted a constant flow of wallet-waving visitors. This generosity of trippers may have been due, in some part, to the glorious sunshine that appeared after lunch and the wonderful display of autumn colour in the gardens.
Cliff Booker

Graeme

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2015, 06:15:49 PM »
thanks Palustris and Maggie

Yes mine I think is P. ensifolia (but I note the name change)- but I will post a picture when its stopped raining - the pot has a narcissus label in it and I suspect it is a seed from a long lost plant

I need to get the seed collected from last years flowers - they are still on the plant
could do with an ID  longituba?
506502-0
506504-1
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2015, 09:02:48 AM »
Hello, I was very fortunate to be able to visit the new show at Harlow and to meet up with so many friends was fantastic we spent a whole day looking around the garden and the show so will post a few pictures from my selection including the plants from Joint Rock meeting, cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2015, 09:04:11 AM »
next lot
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 09:06:34 AM »
More
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2015, 09:10:49 AM »
Hello last few with Joint Rock plants
from Kirriemuir

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2015, 09:18:56 AM »
Great to see you this far south, Ian and pleased that we managed to snatch a few minutes to chat during such a hectic but enjoyable day.
Cliff Booker

astragalus

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2015, 12:33:40 PM »
Cliff, was the Perezia you showed (planted between two slabs of rock) part of a trough?  The whole thing looked rather large to be in a pot.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2015, 12:57:40 PM »
Sorry Anne, I should have made that clear … it was a feature plant in the rocks within the new alpine house.
Cliff Booker

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2015, 07:34:10 PM »
Hello Cliff, it sure was good to meet up with you even for a short chat enjoyed the garden and alpine house will post a few pictures, cheers Ian the Christie kind
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2015, 07:38:44 PM »
A few more the last picture is a competition to see how many rockers or off their rockers can fit in a small greenhouse cheers Ian
from Kirriemuir

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal