We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Benmore 1 May  (Read 1591 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Benmore 1 May
« on: May 01, 2013, 10:02:09 PM »
As the weather had been decent for the past few days, we thought we would catch up with the flowering at Benmore.  After two poor years, this looks a good one.  Many plants had been held back with the cold early Spring but now everything seems to be coming out.
As I have posted so many pictures in the past, I have just gone in for general views.  I cold not be bothered with carting my SLR and various lenses with me so all the pictures were taken on a featherweight Coolpix which I find difficult to use. As I am very long sighted, I cannot focus on the viewing screen and the reflections also obscure my view.  The definition of point and shoot -and hope- seems a good description here !
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Benmore 1 May
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 10:10:50 PM »
Five more
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:13:02 PM »
Another 5
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:14:54 PM »
More yet
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 10:16:41 PM »
Nearly there !
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 10:17:54 PM »
Last few !
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 12:32:59 PM »
Tom - Last night I tried to send a thank-you for the Benmore tour but the SRGC site was frozen.  Wonderful to see the garden.

Good to see nicely spaced specimens.  Have they thinned?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 01:17:52 PM »
Nice tour Tom, many thanks.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 01:38:54 PM »
Fantastic images, Tom !
Thanks for the walk !  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 02:36:42 PM »
John
The woods have been thinned by "nature".  We have had  hurricane force winds in the last few years which have ripped through some of the largest trees at the top of the hill (about 500' high).  This has given large areas to plant up new tree specimens collected by staff in Japan and Tasmania.  I believe the Botanics in Edinburgh has given them a new batch of Rhododendrons to plant up in the newly opened spaces.
Although it is sad to see some trees come down, it has allowed daylight to flood the area which will be to the advantage of new plantings.
Some of the Magnolias are so large that they are flowering at the top and cannot be photographed - even worse, we could not smell them !
All the west coast gardens will be at their best in the next two weeks and we will have to make an effort to go round - knees and hip joints permitting !
I took this picture 5 minutes ago from my window.  The RH. are starting to flower.   Elizabeth is looking really good this year.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal