We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Glasgow Show- Milngave - 4th May  (Read 11044 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: SRGC Glasgow Show- Milngave - 4th May
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2013, 06:01:19 PM »
Aye and I started 5 years ago but the damn Restio seeds still haven't sprouted...........last time I'll listen to Maggi.

;D ;D ;D

Another great report Stan.  Thank you.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Graham Catlow

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 08:35:35 PM »
Nice to see Graham Catlow there not hiding behind his avatar :D

Yes Shelagh, but surely my avatar is preferable to the real thing. ;)
It actually took me a while before I recognised it was me. ???
I think Stan must have been a Private Detective in a former occupation. I had no idea he was taking my photo.
I see in reply 24 you must have spotted Stan as you are trying to hide from the camera. :)

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

veteran vet

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 10:15:08 PM »
Many atmospheric pics from Snapper Stan, we had a brief chat during the show he said he would do atmosphere leave detail to me!!, doing detail seems to take forever.
I will make a start tonight, add more tomorrow. As folk may have gathered was a really good show, more tables were crammed in to get all the plants on the benches, extra judges commandeered (mid way through coffee I was in the canteen) and by some miracle the show was ready to open at 12, they were lined up at the door waiting to get in, was like a flood when doors opened.
To business...as usual I photograph what I like and what makes a decent picture (for me) within the confines of the hall and trying not to get in the way of the paying visitors. I have tried to lay out the plant identification and exhibitor name where I can and put the class number in brackets after for the folk who like to know such detail.
Class A, the small 6 pan, won by Ian Kidman , this was made up from Narcissus rupicola, Androsace cylindica x hirtella at the back, Primula bracteata ssp dubernardeana, Ranunculus montanus in the middle  Draba densifolia densifolia and Saxifraga exarata adenophora at the front. Close ups of two are also shown next.
Androsace sarmentosa 'watkinsii' and
Calceolaria 'Walter Shrimpton' were shown by John di Paolo in his class A entry...could have been a better pic but conveys the cheery plant that it is.

veteran vet

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
Class 2 had some seriously heavy stuff...by that I mean in the size and weight of the pots and also the quality of the exhibits.
Iberis pruittii from Tommy Anderson...I really liked this, a pristine exhibit
Androsace villosa taurica from Ian Kidman
Androsace idahoensis x laevigata from Lionel Clarkson...the flower colour variation was the cause of some comment from other exhibitors and as to how it comes/came about as all the flowers looked fresh
Primula limbata from Margaret and Henry Taylor...good to see they still produce class stuff
Anemone vestal from Jim and Janet Paterson....a big panfull 

veteran vet

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »
Continuing on with the Class 2 exhibits
Androsace hirtella x cylindrical from Ian Kidman, the winner of the Forrest Medal in a very tight vote such was the competition.
Astragalus utahensis from Sam Sutherland. another Forrest contender had to be content with a Certificate of Merit, was a lovely plant shown in close up as well
Sam also had a fine
Primula rusbyi in his class 2 entry
Iris afghanica from Brian Burrow (5) was one plant I could have happily crammed into my car to take home

veteran vet

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »
Continuing my trundle through the show over coffee
In Class 4 from John di Paola with three Rhododendrons, two of which were
Rhododendron 'Princess Anne'
Rhododendron 'Shamrock'
Class 8 for Rock Plants from Australalsia, 2 pans had
Celmisia spedenii from Stella and David Rankin....this used to be frequently seen at shows, now very seldom, possibly because the NZ seed collectors have mostly stopped collecting as not economic they said.
Myosotis pulvinaris from Barry Winter
Lathyrus vernus v albus from Steven McFarlane (14)

veteran vet

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 10:15:17 AM »
Primula chionantha from Anne & Viv Chambers (14)
Saxifraga marginata v coriophylla won class 15 for Lionel Clarkson
Primula maximowiccii from Henry and Margaret Taylor (16)
Primula bracteata, Peter Hood (17)
Primula elatior, Stella and David Rankin (17)

veteran vet

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »
Primula calderiana from Alan Spenceley (18)
Primula albenensis from George Young, best primula at the show
Douglasia vitaliana v chinotricha from George Young (20), was in the Forrest selection
Androsace villosa Irik Gorge Form from Lionel Clarkson in 20, was runner up to the Forrest winner. He also had in the same class
Androsace robusta breviscapa

veteran vet

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2013, 12:39:19 PM »
Just cut the grass and decided that my troughs were badly in need of water, we do not seem to have rain in ages, my trilliums in the garden will not last as long as usual if we don't get any soon...but not according to forecast.
To continue
Androsace x aretiodes (at least I think that's what it was, I missed label for my records...I used to grow it as A. obtusifolia x aretiodes, had a decent seed germination this spring for it so hope they grow on well....this was from Henry and Margaret Taylor in 21, as was
Androsace vandellii from Sam Sutherland.
Ranunculus montanus 'Molten Gold' from Richard Barr (24)
Iris bucharica from Carol and David Shaw (27)
Fritillaria pallidiflora from Peter Semple (29), I see mine is flowering in my woodland garden today

veteran vet

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 12:47:53 PM »
Also in class 29, shown by Dai Davies was a neat elegant
Fritillaria meleagris, was mostly white but had a hint of red at the base of the petals so was probably a hybrid.
Trillium pusillum from Alison Ward (31)
Ornithogalum nanum from Alan Spenseley (33)
Narcissus bulbocodium v conspicuus from John di Paola (33), my narcissus have been poor this year, the garden ones were late to flower and the pot ones did zippo
Arisaema amurense from Lionel Clarkson (36)

veteran vet

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 12:55:20 PM »
A 2 pan entry in Class35 from Cath and Barry Caudwell
Erythronium multiscapoideum
Tulipa aucheriana
Erigeron montanensis from George Young (37), bought at this show some years ago
Townsendia condensate from Tom Green, also in 37
There were some huge pans of Lewisia on display, in the main I would have said somewhat overfed so too drawn but a nice plant of
Lewisia cotyledon Hybrid from Brian and Shelagh Smethhurst in 39 was a strong plant as was

veteran vet

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2013, 01:08:09 PM »
Lewisia tweedyi 'Lemon' from Bob Maxwell in 40 was a clean, fresh looking specimen
Townsendia spathulata 'Cotton Ball' from George Young in 45...this was a very large 2 pan class, probably 10 entries
Lewisia stebbinsii from Brian Burrow also in 45....I had hoped to take my specimen to the show but a hungry mouse ate all the flowers off in one night, the next night it paid the price in a mouse trap spiked with a bit of Mars Bar!
Androsace lehmanniana from Lionel Clarkson, also in 45.
The one pan native to Africa (47) was won by Brian and Shelagh Smethhurst, I took a photo but did not get the name (I might even be spelling their surname wrong too, I have only known them for years 

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2013, 02:08:22 PM »
Hi George, just the one H.  The plant is Rosenia humilis.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

veteran vet

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2013, 04:04:12 PM »
I should have been able to check from other pictures but I had taken of the Class Number etc, ie the entry card but I deleted them and finding them in the Recycle bin on the computer is a laborious job, my apologies
Viola bubanii from Henry and Margaret Taylor (56) was well admired, they had some available on the sales tables, were gone by the time I git there.
Viola pedata from Lionel Clarkson (56)
Pleione tongariro from Sheila McNulty (57) was runner up for the best Orchidaceae to
Calanthe tricarinata from Watt Russel....I am sorry the picture is pretty poor
Dianthus 'Conway Star' from Dave Milward in 60, the Class that's for plants that can't go anywhere else

veteran vet

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2013, 04:17:05 PM »
I realise that I missed out Class 46, 2 pans native to Europe
Androsace vandellii
Saxifraga porophylla, both from George Young
Ranunculus parnassifolius 'Pink Form' from Henry and Margaret Taylor in 61 where
Campanula alpina was shown by Brian Burrow
From The RGB Edinburgh display...Gold Award
Tulipa humilis

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal