We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium franchetii cultivation help?  (Read 3976 times)

Corrado & Rina

Cypripedium franchetii cultivation help?
« on: April 26, 2013, 11:12:55 PM »
Dear all,

First post to the forum.

We have a cypripedium franchetii, in a pot. I bought it from Laneside. It seems to have survived the winter. It is grown in inorganic compost, the original Laneside.

1) Shall I fertilise it? What with?
2) Apparently franchetii is less hardy than others .... is that true?
3) Is it already time to remove winter protection? We had frost yesterday night, and the buds are coming out of the cover of shredded paper I put on top.
4) Do you know where to find cultivation notes specific for the franchetii?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:21:05 PM by corradoerina »
Corrado & Rina

monocotman

Re: Cypripedium franchetii cultivation help?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 08:08:21 AM »
There is a wealth of discussions about all aspects of cyp culture in this section - just go through the threads.
There is a search function which you can use to look for franchetti specifically.
The general recommendation is to feed cyp species at a quarter of full rate.
You can use any of the generally available plant fertilizers - miracle gro, phostrogen etc.
Start to feed the plants as soon as you can see any signs of growth.
At this tricky time of year I use some fleece on the plants when frost is forecast.
The leaves would be fine but the buds could be damaged.
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 09:09:38 AM »
Thanks a lot David.

I have done some thorough research on cultivation notes, but all I can find is general for Cypripedium and not much that is specific on franchetii.  I feel quite uncomfortable with generic, blanket cultivation notes for an entire genus (I come from growing tropical orchids), when the different plants actually thrive in very different natural conditions ....

I am slightly concerned because franchetii seems to be different in terms of resistance to frost and dormancy: for example, it is explicitly mentioned here http://www.phytesia.com/en/cultivation-how-to-grow-hardy-orchids.php?genre=3&PHPSESSID=57fe966bc7833867780178605b94d03e, and , in general, Phytesia seems to know what they are talking about.

Concerning fertilisation, I have found very contrasting advice: some advice says to fertilise abundantly, others to fertilise moderately. I even found advice suggesting to never fertilise cypripedium.

What do you think?

Best,
Corrado & Rina

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 09:23:29 AM »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

SteveC2

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 09:43:36 AM »
It might help if you can be specific about where you live.  I see a union flag in your details, but the comment about raised beds (in another topic) made me wonder.
I looked at the Phytesia link and although they say that franchetti is less hardy, it does mention -30/ -40 so if you are in the U.K. that's not really an issue.
Also I wonder if franchetti's reputation for being difficult is because until recently many of the species available to buy were wild dug and they're all difficult.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:45:10 AM by SteveC2 »

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 09:50:10 AM »
Thanks Steve,

It is the North East. We have had very unreliable seasons as of late: very wet summers, followed by very variable winters. Wets alternates with very low temperatures (-16C), then warm, then very cold again. Plants are stressed out .... raised bed are not an option really, I prefer to move them to the best place for the winter.

Best,
Corrado & Rina

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 09:50:38 AM »
Thanks Anthony!

I think that is the old forum of Michael Weinart, is it correct? He helped me with the winter setup, he was very, very helpful!

I would like to collect species specific cultivation notes for all the species I grow (forgive me the tong twister) ....

Best,
Corrado & Rina

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 09:53:49 AM »
Welcome Corrado e Rina !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

monocotman

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 10:21:55 AM »
I would not be so concerned about individual requirements for species in the macranthos/tibeticum complex.
If you're growing in Jeff's inorganic mix then they pretty much all need the same things.
As you've already heard, winter hardiness is probably not a problem in the UK.
If you follow the general rules then you'll be OK.
On another point, if you're new to cyps then it would be much easier to learn about their requirements by trying a couple of hybrids.
They're more robust, easier and more forgiving to grow and develop into specimen plants much more quickly.
So they are very good for 'training'.
You may find that starting on species straight away may lead to some disappointments!
Even experienced growers have problems with the species and when you do find success, they can be painfully slow to increase,

Regards,

David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 11:02:44 AM »
Thanks David.

My wife and I garden as much for conservation as for enjoyment.  We would like to stick with botanic species, artificial hybrids do not really do it for me ..... even if I do understand the craft and the skills.

We started with franchetii to try out the best conditions and because we were blow away by it: it is incredibly beautiful. We had such an appalling winter that the test was good! Jeff was very helpful. After a year the plant seems to be happy, hence I think we can move onto something slightly more complicated.

We would love to stick with the same geographical macro area, so I think we will probably go with other species in the same group and area: we were thinking initially tibeticum, macranthos, smithii, possibly calceolus and flavum. Fargesii is splendid as well.

In other words, we would like to know which ones people recommend among the Eurasian botanical species.

Best,
Corrado & Rina

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 11:33:10 AM »
I don't think raised beds would be a problem. My Cyp. macranthos survived -18oC in a ceramic pot on a slabbed patio.

monocotman

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 12:30:57 PM »
All those you mention apart from fargesii would be fine in pots with similar conditions to the franchetti.
No need for any complicated recipes for growing medium.
Stick with the one you're using if it works for you.
It makes looking after an increased number of pots straight forward.
David

monocotman

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 12:48:38 PM »
Just thought - the plant that bridges the gap between species and hybrids is the natural hybrid
between calceolus and macranthos, x ventricosum.
It is immensely vigorous and occurs in a number of colour forms from white through pinks to red and yellow.
This one combines the species aspect with the vigour of the commercial hybrids.
It can be fertilized at full rate and it is well worth growing a number of them.
Micheal Wienert has the normal and pale forms available.
One of these started off 4 years ago with two growths and this year has 17.
Others are around if you search, including a lovely pure white form.
David

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 12:58:28 PM »
I wonder how Michael got on with the clump I sent him? Started with a single nose with two (different coloured) flowers on it from Ian Christie a dozen or so years ago.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 07:05:15 PM »
Reading through Phil Cribb's 'The Genus cypripedium', he says: "I have seen Cypripedium franchetii several times in western and northern Sichuan, growing amongst grasses and small bushes of rhododendron on banks or terraces above fast-flowing rivers at between 2000 and 3000 m elevation...."

The reference to rhododendron may indicate that this species prefers a more acid substrate.
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal