We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Leucojum  (Read 18685 times)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Leucojum
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2018, 05:43:32 PM »
Now, Leucojum vernum var. vagneri without snow.

607211-0
Belgium

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 08:49:43 PM »
My white ones were devastated by frost below 18 centigrade minus without snow for a longer period. They looked like boiled spinach. But slowly they recover at least some of the leafs.
One had two buds on one stem. A vagneri so to speak. Maybe they will recover a bit more. Its the 4th day since the heavy frost has gone.
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2018, 10:34:06 AM »
Nice to see them in flower Herman.

I have the feeling that Leucojum vernum is slowly (very?) becoming more available in the UK, indeed recently I was able to buy a 2 Ltr pot from s local independent garden centre. L v. Vagneri Group is still difficult to source as is var. carpathicum. I was able to buy one plant of each last April from Beth Chatto's nursery and although they have been slow to settle I have small buds on both, so I'm hopeful.

All of the named forms continue to be impossible to source and emails to one of the major Snowdrop nurseries (yes that one) said to have a range of them continue to be unresponded to. I'm sure some of them must be available somewhere and it's just a question of finding them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2018, 03:32:09 PM »
Leucojum vernum var. carpathicum

608849-0
Belgium

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2018, 10:32:48 AM »
Leucojum aestivum is already faded...

Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2018, 06:10:16 PM »
News from Wim Boens   about some appearances next year - starring  Leucojum!  (and Wim, of course!)

630833-0

"Ladies and gentlemen,

for those of you who want to learn a bit more about the snowflakes (as in the plants from the genus Leucojum, not the derogatory term which has been gaining popularity in 2018)...

At the 12th of January 2019 I'm lecturing about this genus at the university of Ghent on invitation by the VRV - Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging (Karel Lodewijk Ledeganckstraat 35) (in Dutch) and on the 3rd of February 2019, I do a repeat performance (in English) at the Snow Drop Event at the East Ruston Old Vicarage Garden (East Ruston, Norfolk, UK.)

Everyone welcome! "

630835-1
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2019, 04:21:08 PM »
A reminder of Wim's talk  at East Rushton ....

East Ruston Old Vic

"Snowdrop Day at East Ruston Old Vicarage on Sunday February 3rd from 10 00 AM. Sellers, buyers, lovers, growers. Talk by Wim Boens on Leucojum. Refreshments and Woodburners."
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2019, 01:31:16 PM »
Leucojum vernum, one with two flowers per stalk a kind gift from a Forumist.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2019, 02:33:40 PM »
Here a few not very good pictures of what I have as Leocujum vernum 'Null Punkte'. This is flowering for the first time for me and I was wondering if it is correct? In reply 42 of January 23 2018 Wim Boens showed a picture and his plant showed faint yellow markings. On Wim's IRG article of April 2016 he said "apical mark often reduced to two separate spots especially in juvenile bulbs but more mature bulbs have no spotting".

Maybe mine is right, maybe not, anyone have a view please?

633651-2
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2019, 07:44:43 PM »
Here a few not very good pictures of what I have as Leocujum vernum 'Null Punkte'. This is flowering for the first time for me and I was wondering if it is correct? In reply 42 of January 23 2018 Wim Boens showed a picture and his plant showed faint yellow markings. On Wim's IRG article of April 2016 he said "apical mark often reduced to two separate spots especially in juvenile bulbs but more mature bulbs have no spotting".

Maybe mine is right, maybe not, anyone have a view please?

Here is a copy of a reply from Wim, I feel happier now. It was indeed the first flowering for my plant.

""is it the first year in your garden? If so, it's possible it has a bigger mark. It should be a lot smaller next year! Mine had quite a big mark in it's first year too...Null Punkte is different in markings size every year, btw. This year almost no markings at all over here.""

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »
Leucojum vernum var. vernum with green apical marks.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2019, 08:14:41 PM »
Leucojum vernum var. vernum with yellow(ish) apical marks.

634423-0

634425-1
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2019, 08:17:04 PM »
Leucojum vernum var. carpathicum 'Podpolozje'

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Mariette

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2019, 07:34:16 PM »
Such congested clumps produce stalks with one flower or two flowers as well.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 07:48:51 PM by Mariette »

Mariette

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2019, 07:36:40 PM »
Golden promise.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal