Bulbs > Ian Young's Bulb Log - Feedback Forum

BULB LOG TRAVELS TO KENT AND SUSSEX

(1/4) > >>

Ian Y:
Here are a few pictures that I took on my lecture trip to the deep south.

I had a good walk around the gardens at Wakehurst where they have some magnificient trees.

The tree on the right has been hung with Christmas lights making it the largest christmas tree in the UK.

I was amazed at how many camellias were in flower.

All the Holly trees I saw were thick with berries, a bumper crop this year.

A more exotic planting that I also liked.

This plant must be wild and dangerous to be kept in a cage.

It is of course the 200 million year old living fossil Wollemia nobilis.

A visit to the seed bank was very interesting, this is there seed sorting area with all the sieves stored on the shelves.

Paul T:
Ian,

They've been kept in cages (The Wollomi Pines) for years here too.  I think there was somewhat of a threat of theft as it was a new an unusual plant.  At the rate they're putting them out in nurseries here now there won't be much of a need for stolen plants..... then again at the prices they're selling them for THEY'RE the ones doing the stealing, not the general public!!  :o  Still, monies go to plant conservation so that is a good thing. ;D

Maggi Young:
Just been looking at an advert for the wollemi pines in the UK... £97 for one in a 3 litre pot, they have sold out of the 65cm ones in 5 litre pots for £300 !! The price is inclusive of Value Added Tax, you'll be pleased to hear... but then there's £6 shipping to add! Quite an expensive purchase... interesting how these trees have so captured the public imagination that they can sustain this marketing campaign. I wonder if I could generate a similar enthusiasm for the myriad cotoneaster seedlings I have in the garden... I feel a retirement in the Bahamas coming on!

ichristie:
Hi Ian Y, glad you managed the trip and are back safe and well, I was looking to see if any banana trees were growing down in Kent everything looks so green and fresh. We have wonderful red holly berries on almost every holly tree here this year as well. I don't  suppose they will last long as we have has some good frosts this week. cheers Ian. C.

Ian Y:
I did see a bananna Ian some one had grown it in their garden and brought it into a meeting to show us.

Part 2 Kew.

The spooky looking Kew Palace and yes it is that colour.

The magnificient plam house is full of tropical plants.

Steady now.

One fantastic seed!!!!

Oh and one of these.

It was dusk when we left.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version