We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anemone 2015  (Read 36890 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Anemone 2015
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2015, 06:36:17 PM »
Just bought a plant of Anemone obtusifolia today and would welcome cultivation advice please.

Come on, somebody must be growing it?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2015, 07:27:22 PM »
I have had that one a number of times David, but killed them all. The plant I've got is a creamy white a bit like Pulsatilla albana.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »
Here are the descriptions for Anemone multifida and for var. tetonensis:
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=233500065
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=233500069

Var. tetonensis:  "Flowers: sepals 5-7(-9), usually blue or purple, sometimes white, or abaxially yellow and red, blue, or tinged purple, and adaxially yellow, red, blue, or tinged purple, oblong to elliptic or ovate, 5-15 mm."

And some photos:
http://fieldguide.mt.gov/speciesDetail.aspx?elcode=PDRAN040R0
http://swbiodiversity.unm.edu/taxa/index.php?taxon=72079

I dunno.  Personally, I suspect the plant in question is a Eurasian Pulsatilla.... ?  I may be wrong (often am!) but it just doesn't look like Anemone multifida, which is a common plant here (though the var. tetonensis doesn't occur here of course).  It will be easy to verify if it's an Anemone at least when seed heads form.

Here are herbarium specimen sheets. 
http://www.rmh.uwyo.edu/data/results.php?Genus=Anemone&Species=multifida&Subtaxon=tetonensis&Sort1=SASName1&Limit=100
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

ChrisB

« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2015, 09:29:19 AM »
Thanks Lori, helps a little. Thought it looked more pulsatilla-like than anemone.... Still a sweet little thing anyway....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #214 on: May 17, 2015, 10:04:54 AM »
Just bought a plant of Anemone obtusifolia today and would welcome cultivation advice please.

David, I've had two for several years, one blue and one white next to each other. The blue disappeared suddenly but the white one is still there. Planted in ordinary soil but sand and pebbles are mixed in. Morning and day sun.

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2015, 04:31:48 PM »
Many thanks for that Trond, just what I needed. If not for that it would have finished up in a North facing bed and probably have died on me.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2015, 04:44:04 PM »
Not sure if this is any further help Chris? What I have as Anemone multifida (magellanica) is from seed that came from the Exchange as Pulsatilla occidentalis but wasn't. Tim Ingram felt that it was A. multifida and Lesley agreed, see below

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=12125.msg310040#msg310040

Although the following picture is not good, much too windy outside today, I'll post it anyway. The lower part of the outside of the petals show as a dark red/brown, is yours the same?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ChrisB

« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2015, 08:17:36 PM »
Hi David,
Got a few more pics today when it opened more. It's got quite a few flowers considering it's only a year old really. the flowers are completely erect unlike most pulsatillas. No dark markings at base of flowers.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Hoy

« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2015, 08:58:57 PM »
Here are some Anemone multifida (syn magellanica) from Argentina. They come in several forms.

Hoy

« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2015, 09:09:47 PM »
Many thanks for that Trond, just what I needed. If not for that it would have finished up in a North facing bed and probably have died on me.

Well, my blue one died ;)  Can't remember for sure but it probably happened during the winter.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #220 on: May 19, 2015, 10:39:52 AM »
Not sure if this is any further help Chris? What I have as Anemone multifida (magellanica) is from seed that came from the Exchange as Pulsatilla occidentalis but wasn't. Tim Ingram felt that it was A. multifida and Lesley agreed, see below

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=12125.msg310040#msg310040

Although the following picture is not good, much too windy outside today, I'll post it anyway. The lower part of the outside of the petals show as a dark red/brown, is yours the same?

I'd just like to go back on this one. I have just been to check another clone of Anemone multifida (magellanica) I have and this shows no trace of the reddish brown marking on the lower part of the outside of the petals I spoke of on the type I have I that I grew from seed  which came as Pulsatilla occidentalis.

Although I'm not much good when it comes to reading botanical descriptions I can't see any mention of descriptions of A. multifida where this brown marking is referred to and I'm really intrigued now. Does anyone know please if such marking is present in P. occidentalis which, I understand is often referred to as A. occidentalis in America.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2015, 09:27:24 AM »
Chris I have almost exactly the same issue as you and probably the same plant. These were from the AGS exchange 13/14  sown in Jan 2014 as Anemone rupicola and they certainly arent that. 

I agree though they are bonny wee things.

Living Collection Researcher at the Botanics
Twitter: @alan_elliott

ChrisB

« Reply #222 on: May 30, 2015, 10:11:27 AM »
Hi Alan,
Mine was SRGC seed same year though.  Here's a close up of the foliage and seed head. Definitely an anemone, not pulsatilla....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #223 on: May 31, 2015, 12:21:35 PM »
Hi Alan,
Mine was SRGC seed same year though.  Here's a close up of the foliage and seed head. Definitely an anemone, not pulsatilla....

Rogues!! I have a Anemone drummondii from the AGS exchange from that year too but I think its about to be the same again.

I had a rake through the herbarium at work (ah procrastinaion) on Friday looking at specimens of the suggested names from the forum. I do think A. multifida is a safe bet especially now you posted the seed head.

And as for your last comment, it's true for all Pulsatillas.....
Living Collection Researcher at the Botanics
Twitter: @alan_elliott

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #224 on: May 31, 2015, 05:10:18 PM »
Alan, if you get time would you mind taking a look at Replies 216 and 220 in this thread with reference to my Anemone multifida that started life in an Exchange seed envelope labeled Pulsatilla occidental is. I would be interested to know if any of the herbarium specimens you have seen show the reddish/brown markings I have mentioned on the lower outer petals.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 08:03:12 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal