We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anemone 2015  (Read 36766 times)

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
Re: Anemone 2015
« Reply #225 on: May 31, 2015, 06:30:23 PM »
Whatever it is, I really like it and it's destined for a place in my garden!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #226 on: June 02, 2015, 02:25:02 PM »
Alan, if you get time would you mind taking a look at Replies 216 and 220 in this thread with reference to my Anemone multifida that started life in an Exchange seed envelope labeled Pulsatilla occidental is. I would be interested to know if any of the herbarium specimens you have seen show the reddish/brown markings I have mentioned on the lower outer petals.

So most of our Anemone multifida specimens are 19th C or early 20th C so colour doesnt persist too well, but in saying that there is often but not always the dark marking on the base.

A few specimens also hint at a blueness or pinkness in flower colours, but that could relate to how they dried. 

example of a Colorado plants

Canadian

And two Franklin expedition plants just because.
Living Collection Researcher at the Botanics
Twitter: @alan_elliott

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #227 on: June 02, 2015, 03:55:41 PM »
And two Franklin expedition plants just because......

Lord Franklin? He of the disappearance in the search for the North West Passage?
(bursts into song.....
 "it was homeward bound one night on the deep, swinging in my hammock I fell asleep....."  )
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #228 on: June 02, 2015, 09:46:17 PM »
Alan, very many thanks for taking the time.

Given that information I have re-visited the information that Lori included in her reply 212 in respect of Anemone multifida var tetonensis (Porter) C L Hitch which The Plant List now shows in accepted form as Anemone tetonensis Porter ex Britton. The description I picked up from Lori's post seems very apt ""sepals.....usually blue or purple, sometimes white, or abascially yellow and red, blue or tinged purple, and axially yellow, red, blue or tinged purple"".

After all that I shall go for a long lay-down preceded by a generous amount of good malt. I'm not going to change my labels though
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #229 on: June 03, 2015, 02:57:03 PM »
And two Franklin expedition plants just because......

Lord Franklin? He of the disappearance in the search for the North West Passage?
(bursts into song.....
 "it was homeward bound one night on the deep, swinging in my hammock I fell asleep....."  )

Aye these will be from the second expedition after the canabalism and boot eating but before the catastrophic all hands lost one.

These specimens will be from either John Richardson or Thomas Drummond.

As songs go I prefer Northwest passage "ah for just one time i would take the northwest passage to find the hand of Franklin reaching for the Beaufort sea."

alanelliott

• Flora of Nepal
« Reply #230 on: June 03, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »
Alan, very many thanks for taking the time.

Given that information I have re-visited the information that Lori included in her reply 212 in respect of Anemone multifida var tetonensis (Porter) C L Hitch which The Plant List now shows in accepted form as Anemone tetonensis Porter ex Britton. The description I picked up from Lori's post seems very apt ""sepals.....usually blue or purple, sometimes white, or abascially yellow and red, blue or tinged purple, and axially yellow, red, blue or tinged purple"".

After all that I shall go for a long lay-down preceded by a generous amount of good malt. I'm not going to change my labels though

I often feel like a large single malt afrer being in the herbarium but usually settle for coffee or irn bru....

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #231 on: June 03, 2015, 03:08:36 PM »
Aye these will be from the second expedition after the canabalism and boot eating but before the catastrophic all hands lost one.

These specimens will be from either John Richardson or Thomas Drummond.

As songs go I prefer Northwest passage "ah for just one time i would take the northwest passage to find the hand of Franklin reaching for the Beaufort sea."
A very fine song indeed , though not one in my personal repertoire - happy to sing it with you one day though!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #232 on: August 07, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »
Second lot of blooms now on my Anemone multifida (A. tetonensis). Is this usual?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #233 on: August 09, 2015, 08:36:10 PM »
No one got a view ???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #234 on: August 10, 2015, 06:32:17 AM »
David, over here the plants are not sure whether we still have spring as we have not had summer yet :-\
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #235 on: August 10, 2015, 07:26:45 PM »
Same over here too Trond apart from the riviera parts of the UK like Essex and Kent.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #236 on: August 11, 2015, 05:13:34 PM »
Hi, Trond!  I'd be happy to send you some of our heat.  We've been baking since the first of June.  It's impossible to keep everything watered and stay financially solvent. :)
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #237 on: August 12, 2015, 06:24:12 AM »
Hello Claire,

I will gladly have some! Can't say we have been baked here. Still much snow in the mountains! The up side is , no need to water the plants ;)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2015, 06:56:27 AM »
Anemone heldreichii
Anemone pavonina red
Anemone pavonina cream with pink blush
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal