We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Highland Show Nairn 2013  (Read 8770 times)

Carol Shaw

SRGC Highland Show Nairn 2013
« on: April 21, 2013, 08:52:33 AM »
The 2nd SRGC Highland Show takes place on Saturday 27th April at Nairn Community Centre. Nairn is a great place for a weekend break so do come along and be assured of a real Highland welcome.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:38:04 AM by Maggi Young »
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: SRGC Highland Show Nairn 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 06:23:05 PM »
HIGHLAND SHOW-  Nairn Community Centre

27th April 10.30am to 3.30 pm  (Show Opens 12.30 pm)

SHOW SECRETARIES: Carol and David Shaw, Delft Cottage, Dyke, Forres, IV36 2TF

Telephone 01309 641405

Mobile (Friday) 07906 333045

Email: delftdavid@googlemail.com

VENUE: Nairn Community Centre, King Street, Nairn  IV12 4BQ

Telephone 01667 453476

LOCATION: King Street is the main A96 trunk road passing through Nairn. The CC is 200m north of the bus station. There is limited parking immediately adjacent to the hall but ample across the road.

ENTRIES: To Show Secretaries by Wednesday before the show. Late entries accepted up until one hour before judging if space allows.

STAGING: 6.00 - 8.00 pm, Friday before the show and 8.45 - 10 am, Saturday of the Show

JUDGING: Begins at 10.15 am
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:01:45 PM »
In spite of news reports some of you may have seen of areas of North East Scotland almost disappearing under drifts of sand, caused by the very windy weather - I am confident that visitors to the Highland Show in Nairn this coming Saturday will not need to utilise the snow shovels in their cars to dig their way through sand drifts to the show!

This badly copied photo  of daffodils just managing to keep their heads above the sand drifts  is from the local newspaper, The Press and Journal  from Weds. 24th April . It was taken by Helen Blair of Buckie

That being said, a hail shower has just hit here in Aberdeen - who said Spring had finally sprung?
All the more reason to enjoy a great show in Nairn!

Carol Shaw

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
All the roads are clear and we expect them to stay that way  ;D If you are travelling from the Aberdeen direction to the Show be aware there is a 30mph speed limit on the A96 as you come off the Forres bypass where the flood alleviation work is taking place. The police are extremely hot on prosecuting folk who speed through this so give yourself that extra 10 minutes to be on the safe side.

I'm delight to say the entries are coming in nicely and we will definitely have a Section II that is the envy of many a Show Secretary. There is still time to phone or e-mail us and we will find a space for all plants that are entered. We have a couple coming down from Caithness to stage at their first SRGC Show and the usual suspects coming up from Perthshire and the Central Belt.

Catering will be by the local athletic club who are doing this as a fund raiser for new changing rooms.

Look forward to seeing you all there  :-*

Carol

Carol Shaw

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:13:40 PM »
Stan is obviously aiming for the trophy for most first class prize points in Section I as he has a huge entry! I suspect his car is like the tardis much bigger inside than out  ;)
Carol

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 01:25:07 PM »
Carol, I have it on good authority that Stan was up at dawn, shoe-horning his plants into the car....
poor man is working really hard.....

but I hope it won't come to this.....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 02:35:57 PM by Maggi Young »

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 02:21:42 PM »
I have it on god authority

Always knew you operated on a higher plane us mere mortals Maggi........  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »
Always knew you operated on a higher plane us mere mortals Maggi........  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Ooh err..... I did think it was a good idea to keep quiet about the voices in my head........ :-[ :-X

Carol Shaw

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 05:26:58 PM »
Carol, I have it on good authority that Stan was up at dawn, shoe-horning his plants into the car....

Stan has entries in 31 classes some of which are multi pan classes - I'm telling you that car is a tardis   ;D
Carol

angie

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »
Have a great day everyone. Thats amazing having that amount of entries, well done Stan for producing so many lovely plants. Hope you win plenty prizes.
I am away to a Koi show in Brampton, Cumbria or else I would have loved to see the show. Long drive tomorrow so I will have to be up bright and early.
Look forward to the pictures of the show.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 08:07:12 PM »
Travel safe, Angela - and don't spend all your plant money on a new koi!

angie

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 08:36:14 PM »
Travel safe, Angela - and don't spend all your plant money on a new koi!

Thanks Maggi. I need to keep my money for all the plant stalls at the Czech conference. New koi was paid for at Xmas time, don't tell Derek.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Carol Shaw

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 02:55:26 PM »
Results The Forrest Medal was won by Carole & Ian Bainbridge with a fab pot of Narcissus watieri 'Abaleish', which also took the Askival Trophy for Best Bulb in Show.
Stan da Prato took the Highland Trophy for most first prize points in Section I whilst Colinne Souter gained the George Roslyn-Shirras Tankard for most first prize points in Section II.
The Culloden Cup for the Best Primula in Show went to Sam Sutherland for Primula rusbyi and he also won Certificates of  Merit  for his Lewisia tweedyi and Iris orchiodes bicolor.
Veteran exhibitor Olive Bryers won the Ulster Group Quaich for Best Ericaceous Plant in Show with Cassiope 'George Taylor' and the Dunbarney Salver for Best Plant in Section II with Helichrysum Pogo ( edit by maggi  =Helichrysum pagophilum ?)
Francis & Margaret Higgins, exhibiting for the first time, won the Weir Shield for the Best Plant in Show from a Highland or Moray Member with Soldanella minima - they also won the 80th Anniversary Award for Best Plants in Class 71 with Primula 'Beatrice Wooster' and, obviously, the award for Best First Time Exhibitor; they also received a Certificate of Merit for Celmisia ramulosa. Certificates of Merit were awarded to Tina Finch for her Fritillaria meleagris and to Nick Boss for his Androsace vandellii...... Snapper Stan has been on the prowl and once her gets back home I'm sure he will be putting up some photos - well, once he has sorted his plants and the tardis out  :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 04:57:49 PM by Carol Shaw »
Carol

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 07:28:15 PM »
I made the long drive North early this morning to take plants for The Highland show heavy snow showers all the way but as usual Carol and David made everyone welcome it sure was warmer in the hall. I am posting a selection from the show cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 07:30:44 PM »
Next lot
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal