We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Swift Moth  (Read 1366 times)

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
Swift Moth
« on: April 16, 2013, 07:50:08 PM »
Please tell what you are spraying with for this pest,noticed that the leaves on my clump of  Diggory were looking rather sad ,so dug them up to find that quite a few bulbs had been bored into so have stripped all rotten parts off and bathed them in a fungicide and re planted into a pot and the really sickly ones into another pot so will see what happens,other clumps nearby seem to be fine ,but think I will dig up some of the nearset to Diggory to see if they are affected
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Swift Moth
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 02:19:11 PM »
Last year I tried Provado towards the end of the season (only after flowering had finished) and Grow Your Own Nematodes over the summer (needs warmish soil).  So far I have only found one swift moth larva and that was in a neglected pot of snowdrops that would not have been treated.  But it's too early in the repotting season to comment on how effective those treatments have been.  I also had poor flowering this year so it's possible something I did last year promoted leaves over flowers.
Almost in Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »
Apart from Snowdrops what are Swift Moth's other foods please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »
Thanks Alan
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 05:51:53 PM »
David, not many people on the forum have admitted to Swift Moth problems but Tim Ingram said they were partial to hellebores, if I remember correctly.
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 06:34:54 PM »
I think the larvae will attack a wide range of plants, edible and decorative.
Seems Galanthus and hellebores are their first choice but  Polygonatum, Disporum, Primula, Paeonia, Allium, Apium,
Brassica,  Ribes, Rubus, Solanum, Humulus,  Lactuca, Chrysanthemum, Dahlia,
Daucus, Fragaria, Helianthus, Lycopersicon, Pastinaca,  Phaseolus, Iris,    Poaceae.............. :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 06:51:41 PM »
Mmmmm, hungry little blighters, a pest I don't think I've (or my plants!) have ever suffered from-yet.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 10:02:51 PM »
David, I'm sure swift moths are more prevalent in certain areas but you are unlikely to catch one in the act.  However you may see them in the vicinity if you are lifting and dividing snowdrops at this time of year.  You might have seen one and mistaken it for a chafer grub,  although chafer grubs have a grey end to the abdomen.  If you keep snowdrops in pots you might find that one year you have grown a swift moth instead of the snowdrops.
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal