Bulbs > Crocus

Crocus - web resources

<< < (7/8) > >>

Janis Ruksans:
Two new crocuses just recently were published. One by Turkish botanists as C. ancyrensis subsp. guneri - from Amasya prov - published in Phytotaxa.

I got my plants of Crocus guneri from Czech collector under name of C. ancyrensis as collected in Amasya province without exact locality and up to last I was quite doubtful about their status, supposing them as natural hybrid. Some forms of C. ancyrensis s.l. occasionally hybridize in wild (such hybrid with C. abantensis got name C. x paulineae). Another hybrid with unknown species was collected S of Tokat, too. My own gathering from N of Amasya province (LST-124 - near Merzifon on Tavsan Dag) has uniformly yellow flowers. So it is not great wonder that I regarded my samples as natural hybrids, although they were fertile. My plants has something finer reticulated tunics than pictured in description of C. guneri, but difference is not very great and it can vary slightly between different populations.

Although my experience in cultivation of Crocus guneri isn’t very long, it turned easy growable in pots. In cultivation corms increase in size up to 20 mm in diameter and well multiplies by splitting. I am keeping it all the year round in the greenhouse.

Janis Ruksans:
Another one is Crocus novicii - published in Phytotaxa by D. Harpke and Serbian botanists from S Albania. I never had it, so attached picture is scan from original publication where you can compare it with allies.

This highly ornamental crocus still is unknown in cultivation but it most likely has same requirements as Crocus jablanicensis and C. cvijicii growing wild in same region and in similar conditions, so there could be no problems with its cultivation in our gardens. It is quite possible that it could be found on the same mountain ridge in adjacent Greece, as its type locality is situated quite close and ecological conditions there are very similar. Superficially it is quite similar to C. jablanicensis from which it can be easy separated by bluish toned flower tube and blue basal blotch on segments outside, it is more leafy, too. From light (whitish) forms of typical C. cvijicii and C. veluchensis it is easy separable by glabrous throat which in both other species is pubescent and by white colour of stigma which in others is yellow or orange.

Maggi Young:
Crocus jablanicensis

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/235660562_Crocus_jablanicensis_Iridaceae_a_New_Species_from_the_Republic_of_Macedonia_Balkan_Peninsula

Maggi Young:

--- Quote from: Janis Ruksans on July 06, 2016, 09:00:01 AM ---Another one is Crocus novicii - published in Phytotaxa by D. Harpke and Serbian botanists from S Albania. I never had it, so attached picture is scan from original publication where you can compare it with allies.

This highly ornamental crocus still is unknown in cultivation but it most likely has same requirements as Crocus jablanicensis and C. cvijicii growing wild in same region and in similar conditions, so there could be no problems with its cultivation in our gardens. It is quite possible that it could be found on the same mountain ridge in adjacent Greece, as its type locality is situated quite close and ecological conditions there are very similar. Superficially it is quite similar to C. jablanicensis from which it can be easy separated by bluish toned flower tube and blue basal blotch on segments outside, it is more leafy, too. From light (whitish) forms of typical C. cvijicii and C. veluchensis it is easy separable by glabrous throat which in both other species is pubescent and by white colour of stigma which in others is yellow or orange.

--- End quote ---

A new species of Crocus (Iridaceae) from southern Albania (SW Balkan Peninsula)
Article in Phytotaxa 265(1):39 • June 2016
DOI: 10.11646/phytotaxa.265.1.3

MILICA MILJKOVIĆ 
Vladimir Randjelovic     University of Niš
Dörte Harpke    Leibniz Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research

Abstract
A new Crocus species (Iridaceae) for southern Albania, Crocus novicii sp. nov. (Iridaceae), is described and illustrated. We here provide diagnostic morphological characteristics, results of molecular analyses, detailed descriptions and illustrations of this new species and compare it with its relatives C. jablanicensis, C. cvijicii and C. veluchensis. Our molecular analysis is based on two chloroplast (matK–trnK, rps16–trnQ) and three nuclear markers (nrETS, nrITS, TOPO6B exon3–exon6) and includes representatives of all related species (C. cvijicii, C. dalmaticus, C. jablanicensis, C. rujanensis, C. sieberi subsp. atticus, and C. veluchensis). Morphologically, C. novicii can be distinguished from its relatives by its white flower with lilac coloring at the base of the perigone and its higher number of leaves (> 3). Although it is morphologically close to C. jablanicensis, molecular analysis has revealed a close affiliation to C. veluchensis. Crocus novicii is diploid with 2n = 20 chromosomes. The new species is named after the Serbian botanist Novica Ranđelović to honor his important work on the genus Crocus on the Balkan Peninsula.

Maggi Young:
 Neotypification of the name Crocus biflorus Mill. (Iridaceae) and its consequences in the taxonomy of the genus
Article in Phytotaxa 260(2):131-143 · May 2016
DOI: 10.11646/phytotaxa.260.2.3

Dörte Harpke  Leibniz Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research
            Helmut Kerndorff  Umweltbundesamt, Germany
Erich Pasche
Lorenzo Peruzzi  Università di Pisa
Abstract
Recent phylogenetic investigations on the genus Crocus proved several infra-generic units predominantly within section Nudiscapus to be para- or polyphyletic even at infra-specific level. In particular, the 23 “subspecies” of C. biflorus Mill. turned out to be polyphyletic grouping in very different phylogenetic clades and sub-groups. In addition, they were established under the binomial Crocus biflorus, not yet typified. As first step, we neotypified this name. Then, through a phylogeny based on the ETS region of the nuclear ribosomal (nr) DNA as an additional nuclear marker to the already available nrITS region, we further demonstrated that all the “subspecies” represent independent evolutionary lineages. Therefore, all these taxa are treated here at species level. To achieve this, 10 new combinations are proposed.

1) Morphological features of the corm tunics and seeds (bottom left) of Crocus biflorus from the type population of Monte Javello, Tuscany.

2) Flowering plants of Crocus biflorus from the type population, Monte Javello, Tuscany. Pictures by G. Gestri (15 January 2007)

3) Phylogenetic tree from a Bayesian analysis of the ITS and ETS regions of Crocus sect. Nudiscapus species. Numbers at nodes give posterior probabilities (pp) for the clades. Position of C. biflorus is highlighted in red. Former C. biflorus subspecies are indicated in bold, while species not classified within C. ser. Biflori are in grey. Individuals with intra-individual polymorphic ETS and ITS regions are indicated by ‘E’ followed by a letter and ‘I’ followed by a letter, respectively.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version