We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhodophiala bifida  (Read 1005 times)

anita

Rhodophiala bifida
« on: March 31, 2013, 12:23:34 AM »
Hi, A few Rhodophiala bifida in the garden have set seed for the first time. The capsules which look very like the three segmented capsules of hippeastrum  or zephyranthes are not ripe yet. I presume I should wait until they start to split before collecting the seed. Do I then sow immediately ( Southern Hemisphere so I'm heading into winter) or should I wait? Sow shallow or deep?
Thanks Anita
Dry Gardener (rainfall not wine). Adelaide, South Australia. Max temp 45C min -1C

Ezeiza

Re: Rhodophiala bifida
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 04:25:43 AM »
The capsules will change from green to straw when ripe. If you press them gently at that stage they will split open to reveal the black paper seeds. Sow immediately and germination will be 100%. Better to use a pot large enough to acomodate all the seed for two whole seasons. Sow covered with 3-5 mm. of grit to anchor the seed and gently water daily until germination is complete.

They resent disturbance as all amaryllids do therefore it is better to pot the whole rootball undisturbed to a larger pot (or the ground) after the second year is over. When doing this you can bury them a good deal deeper as this hastens maturity.

It is a native here but it has become rare due to development.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

anita

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 05:05:16 AM »
Thank you Alberto,
Sounds very similar to Hippeastrums. Hopefully I will be as successful with Rhodophiala as Hippies which grew very easily from fresh seed.
Regards Anita
Dry Gardener (rainfall not wine). Adelaide, South Australia. Max temp 45C min -1C

Ezeiza

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 01:13:29 AM »
In many ways, Anita, but R. bifida is summer dormant and comes from a region with year round rainfall, therefore it will thrive in that part of your garden that receives extra water in summer when it is dormant.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal