We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sterilising Cornus urbiniana Seed before Sowing  (Read 801 times)

kGarden

• kGarden Blog
Sterilising Cornus urbiniana Seed before Sowing
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:52:58 PM »
I bought some Cornus urbiniana seeds (from USA) and the instructions that came with it says to sterilise the seed using "1 part household bleach diluted with 10 parts of water"

I'm not sure if UK bleach is going to be the same concentration as USA bleach?

I also have 35% Hydrogen Peroxide, which is what I normally used for sterilising things such as Colocasia bulbs to reduce chance of rotting when I start them off.  If that would be suitable what dilution should I use please?

(I think the suggestion of sterilising may be related to the prolonged period of stratification which is needed?)

I didn't get the seeds from Strange Wonderful Things (I've never bid high enough to win any of their eBay auctions!!) but their site has details instructions and is very similar to the instructions I was sent:
http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/tips159-seeds.htm
Started collecting snowdrops Spring 2013. Suffolk, UK.

Martinr

Re: Sterilising Cornus urbiniana Seed before Sowing
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:52:59 PM »
10:1 UK bleach should be fine, I was taught that for sterilising tools and cuttings on an adult education course many years ago.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal