We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: N. asturiensis  (Read 1717 times)

Jack Meatcher

N. asturiensis
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:54:12 PM »
I have been trying to obtain a specimen of N. asturiensis (or should I say N. minor ssp asturiensis now?) and recently have been using the description in John Blanchard's book as my "specification". Having bought several bulbs purporting to be N. asturiensis in the past, I am becoming convinced that there must be either a lot of variations (cultivars?) or I've bought incorrectly named plants.
I was encouraged to see Ian McEnery's and ArnoldT's illustrations of their N. asturiensis as they both seemed to conform to the Blanchard description, especially the waisted corona. The N.asturiensis currently flowering at Wisley has the waisted corona but is 6"-7" tall and more upright.  My specimen bought as N. asturiensis is too tall, somewhat glaucous in the leaf, doesn't have the waisted corona, and is rather upright. I do have Douglasbank and Wavertree but I expect these to be different from a "pure" plant.
I have some ex JJA seeds coming along but they are 2-3 years away from flowering so it may be some time before I actually have a specimen or two.
Does anyone else have these difficulties when buying N.a in bulb form?

Jack
The Learner

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: N. asturiensis
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 09:27:03 PM »
Good luck  in sorting this one out, Jack!ike many others- very variable and, of course, there is always, even in the wild, the possibility of some hybridisation.

Anne Wright showed a lovely selection here : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6855.msg189006#msg189006
 and the forum displays a wide range of plants, many with "admitted" hybridity, over the years and many from wild origin too.
Confused- well, who wouldn't be?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 10:36:50 PM »
 I received some bulbs of N. asturiensis from Pitcairn Alpines a few years ago & they appear to be true - they have the waisted corona referred to by Blanchard. They are just coming into flower now so I'll try & post a pic in a few days time. I suspect that many of the plants supplied as N. asturiensis are "N. minor" or "N. nanus".
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:38:48 AM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »
I posted a pic of the Pitcairn Alpines form in 2012, here:

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=8248.msg235730#msg235730

It had a Stagonospora infection which seems to have disappeared following treatment with Trichoderma.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »
Here's what I've been growing as N. asturiensis for over 15 years.

5 cm tall, max.

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerry Webster

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 02:39:51 PM »
N. asturiensis

This is a better photo of the Pitcairn Alpines form I mentioned above & shows the waisted corona referred to by Blanchard.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 03:54:33 PM »
That looks spot on Gerry, I've always had doubts about mine.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Jack Meatcher

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 07:45:28 PM »
Thanks for those responses and pics. Yes, it does seem that your Pitcairn Alpines N.a are true.  I did buy 5 bulbs from them last year but nothing came up like those in your pics.  I'll double check to-morrow morning to see if I've somehow lost sight of them.

Jack
The Learner

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 07:15:58 PM »
Narcissus asturiensis from Pottertons in a 11 cm pot. I think they are the true type as they fit Blanchards description. They are much smaller than Wavertree. Due to cold weather they are flowering a bit late this year.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »
They look right to me, Poul.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal