We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium rivale 'Purple Heart'  (Read 1816 times)

gordon julian

Trillium rivale 'Purple Heart'
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:33:08 AM »
Can any member offer a source for seeds of Trillium rivale 'Purple Heart' or Trillium rivale ? 'Purple Haze'. I have the white/pale pink forms of Trillium rivale which grow well for me here in Tasmania and it multiplies well from seed set, Gordon Julian

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
Re: Trillium rivale 'Purple Heart'
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:30:04 AM »
Hello Gordon , Lynn McGough in the Blue Mountains has T. rivale 'Purple Haze' for sale .Look up her plant list :Lynn's Rare Plants .

Here in the Dandenongs T. rivale selfsows abundantly (almost a weed -but a nice one ) .,but not all seedlings of 'Purple Haze ' come true .
                 Otto .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 05:22:17 PM »
Hello, Gordon,

I often have ample Trillium rivale seeds to share. including 'Purple Heart'.  Contact me by PM about details.
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

brianw

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 06:06:07 PM »
I thought Purple Heart was a clone, not a seed strain. Seedlings may be similar but not P.H. if it is a clone.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 08:15:04 PM »
I have a seed grown T. rivale that has a darker center than the authentic 'Purple Heart', the latter of which I was generously given by a Seattle friend with a well-deserved reputation for reliable naming of his plants. The seedling is, in my opinion, considerably better — more "purple heartish" you might say — than the clone. Moral: sow lots of seed from many sources and you too may find an 'Improved Purple Heart' among them. (Or should that be 'Purpler Heart'?)

The original does multiply well vegetatively. I don't yet know if that's true of my seed-grown one.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal